PDA

View Full Version : your opinion: fix or sell?

bwithers
11-05-2011, 10:41 AM
My v70needs a valve job and the mechanic wants $1500 up front for good faith. I got the car appraised and the dealer will give me $1000 for it. I got it used and still owe about half that to the bank. It has 155k and no other major problems.

If you were me: a student with no job til september 2012, would you fix it up or sell and pay it off? I'm just thinking that I love the car so much but to fix it up would cost me a fortune... Thanks.

instarx
11-06-2011, 06:49 AM
Is there a third alternative to leave it the way it is and drive it as little as possible? Remember, it isnt a family member that needs an organ transplant. There is always the option to not fix it and drive it until it dies.

If you need a car you will just hve to buy another one, so take that into consideration.

You say the car is otherwise trouble-free, but you didn't say how long you have owned it. years of trouble free then fix it, a few months of trouble-free then its a harder choice.

Unfortunately there is no definitive answer to your question - it depends on your finances and situation.

n00bkiller944
11-06-2011, 10:39 PM
How mechanically inclined are you... New heads are pretty cheap

n00bkiller944
11-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Edit: I should say used heads***

Xilikon
11-07-2011, 04:43 AM
At first, I thought it was about a valve body job, which is pretty expensive but if you're talking about the valves in the engine head, I agree with n00bkiller944. A used engine head in good condition is pretty cheap and if you're good with your hands and tools, you could change the head in a weekend day.

The other thing is to not touch it and drive it as long as you can till you can afford the job or change the car.

8pack
11-08-2011, 12:24 PM
If you could get used heads for a few hundred bucks and had a friend with some mechanical skills, I would change the head. The cost of a replacement vehicle will be wzy more. HOWEVER, with the age of the car you may see lots more going wring soon so do you research on here and look for symptoms of other issues you may have to sort out. You don't want to have to keep throwing money at it.

JRL
11-08-2011, 02:33 PM
You can get a new (remaned) complete head for $400 from Clearwater Heads