PDA

View Full Version : front light replacement after deer hit help

GReeves
11-05-2011, 08:39 AM
hi guys, I have never replaced a light unit before and cannot find any referance to remove the light unit. She who must be obeyed hit a deer last night, i think it was a glancing blow as there has been no body damage or hood damage either BUT the passenger side light unit has been pushed back and all the glass is toast. So my question is how do i replace the head light unit, AND please not smart arses who say take it to the dealer. I have posted a few questions on here and have had really really good replys and very helpfull. I have included a few pictures of the damage if they help.

Thanks

GReeves

sjonnie
11-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Instructions from VADIS. It says to remove the bumper casing also so I inculded instructions for that.

GReeves
11-05-2011, 11:56 AM
thank you sjonnie for the help. All I have to get now is a replacement light unit, will post a new thread to see if any knows of one in a breakers yard. The price on certain auction sites seem quite steep.

acools
11-07-2011, 02:48 PM
FCP Groton

Here is a link to headlights for a 2004 MY XC70.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/category-exec/category_id/21/nm/Body_Parts_Car_Lighting_Parts_Electrical_Body_Part s/sub_top_menu_item/by_make-by_model-by_year/by_make/78/by_model/1464/by_year/54

acools
11-07-2011, 02:51 PM
By the way, I had roughly your MY XC70, I pulled all my lights and replaced them with OEM xenon units.

I'm pretty comfortable with pulling the bumpers/lights and the like.

Let me know if you have any Qs. You can buy just the glass, you would have to remove the light, undo the clips/delaminiate the glass, reglue it and replace the light. Me, I would spend a bit more and replace the unit. But that's just my humble opinion.

Andres

C7mb
11-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey I dont mean to hijack your thread but do you by any chance still have the smashed light? I need a new adjustment part for mine (which I broke). I would be willing to pay for the broken light. Thanks!

GReeves
11-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Sorry the unit has already gone to the big headlight store in the sky.....

MacNoob
11-28-2011, 08:48 AM
No insurance? I bet when you go to replace the light you find more stuff broken... so be careful of incremental costs.

Deer hits are nasty. I lost my Saab 9-5 wagon to a deer - 100kmh+deer=explody deer + $6k damage.

C7mb
11-28-2011, 02:51 PM
Sorry the unit has already gone to the big headlight store in the sky.....

Awww ok. Thanks anyways!