PDA

View Full Version : Driver side window fell inside the door

caryhorner
10-31-2011, 07:21 AM
Title says it all. The window got stuck when I was trying to roll it up last night. After several attempts to get it to roll back up I assume it fell off the track because it dropped straight down into the door and is now sitting there in the bottom being quite useless. I had a hard time finding information about this problem on this site so does anyone have any idea how to fix this problem? And, for starters, what could the problem be?

I've got to drive back home to Middle Tenessee from Asheville, NC soon and it's gonna be a cold ride if I can't do something about this. Oh, it's a 2002 XC70, if it matters.

Cary

Astro14
10-31-2011, 09:13 AM
You've already stated the answer...it came off the track...that or the regulator (scissor-like thing that the motor moves) broke...either way, the door panel has to come off to get access.

That's not hard, but you'll need a torx bit. Pop off the triangle trim by the mirror, pop off the cover on the grab handle, undo the two torx (T25 or 30...can't remember...) inside of it, pop loose the 8 or so clips around the perimeter of the door panel (press in the center, but not too hard, so that the clip is loosened, then pull it out) and lift the panel up. You'll have to remove some insulation and plastic sheeting and you can see what's broken...

Even if you can't fix it, you can push it up and tape in place for the trip home...then get it fixed right once there...

caryhorner
10-31-2011, 10:14 AM
Hey, thanks for the response. I wonder if some specific part of the mechanism broke and caused this to happen. I just read a thread on here actually (don't know why I couldn't find it before) about some clips that hold the window to regulator, or something like that, so I'm going to look into this, as well as the regulator which my repairman suggested it might be.

In the meantime it's taped up and covering the opening perfectly. I just hope the tape holds up for 300 miles. I also hope I didn't bend the mechanism too bad as I tried to raise the window when it fell down. Apparently raising the window when it's slipped off is a no no.

Mad Cune
11-03-2011, 03:15 PM
This happened to me too. It was my regulator. However, I was able to get the window to come up enough that I could grab it, straighten it out and secure it in the closed position. Then I took it to my indie for repair.