PDA

View Full Version : Stripped oil drain plug

Yaleh
10-30-2011, 02:54 PM
Well- big drag today.. Finally got a bit of time to change the oil and wouldn't you know it the drain bolt is SO stuck that even with a very long breaker bar I couldn't get it off. Seems like the only way to work on cars these days is to use impact guns! I can only assume the last mechanic (Crappytire) overtightened. So unfortunately as a result of cranking on the bolt I beautifully managed to smooth off the flat:eek:. I'm so mad about this.. I tried vice grips, but they just made it worse. I have a lightweight welder I might be able to weld a new nut over the plug I guess. I didn't try heating the plug, but is this advisable? I guess any tips are appreciated.. Wanting to do this asap as I have seafoam in the oil too.

THanks!

Yaleh.

billr99
10-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Well- big drag today.. Finally got a bit of time to change the oil and wouldn't you know it the drain bolt is SO stuck that even with a very long breaker bar I couldn't get it off. Seems like the only way to work on cars these days is to use impact guns! I can only assume the last mechanic (Crappytire) overtightened. So unfortunately as a result of cranking on the bolt I beautifully managed to smooth off the flat:eek:. I'm so mad about this.. I tried vice grips, but they just made it worse. I have a lightweight welder I might be able to weld a new nut over the plug I guess. I didn't try heating the plug, but is this advisable? I guess any tips are appreciated.. Wanting to do this asap as I have seafoam in the oil too.

THanks!

Yaleh.

You need an appropriate size Helicoil (http://www.emhart.com/brands/heli-coil). Should be available at your local NAPA or similar. Not hard to do and if installed properly, it will be stronger than the original thread.

Good Luck,

Bill

Xilikon
10-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Bill, the OP wanted to tell he smoothed out the oil plug nut head so he can't remove it at all. The title was misleading...

Try this : http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/Sockets/SocketSets/PRD~0589132P/Mastercraft+Extract-it+5-piece+Set.jsp?locale=en

I have a similar set and it works beautifully because when you try to loosen it up, it bite more and more so after some work, you can remove the nut. Use some propane torch to heat up the nut for 30 secs before trying.

Astro14
10-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Problem is...once he gets this one off, what's he going to put on?

IF you've got a new one waiting in the wings, then I would go after the stuck one with a plain old plumbers pipe wrench...the bigger, the better, it will bite into the chewed up plug well...expanding the plug itself with heat will only make it tighter in the pan, so I wouldn't apply heat to the plug, but to the oil pan...but I would do so gingerly...maybe not at all...

Good luck!

One other point: I wouldn't use seafoam or any other solvent in the oil in this car. Even if it's been neglected, a good synthetic will clean it slowly...my XC is squeaky clean inside...I credit the Pennzoil (and Mobil 1) that it's been fed...

But as far as additives/solvents, recall that Volvo specifically says "do not use any oil additives"...what problem was the seafoam intended to solve?

Xilikon
10-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Good point about the pipe wrench and heating the nut.

Yaleh
10-30-2011, 04:14 PM
Problem is...once he gets this one off, what's he going to put on?

IF you've got a new one waiting in the wings, then I would go after the stuck one with a plain old plumbers pipe wrench...the bigger, the better, it will bite into the chewed up plug well...expanding the plug itself with heat will only make it tighter in the pan, so I wouldn't apply heat to the plug, but to the oil pan...but I would do so gingerly...maybe not at all...

Good luck!

One other point: I wouldn't use seafoam or any other solvent in the oil in this car. Even if it's been neglected, a good synthetic will clean it slowly...my XC is squeaky clean inside...I credit the Pennzoil (and Mobil 1) that it's been fed...

But as far as additives/solvents, recall that Volvo specifically says "do not use any oil additives"...what problem was the seafoam intended to solve?
Thanks guys! Yeah I guess it would have been better to call this thread "can't remove the Friggin' oil plug!!!!!!!" ;)

So I just thought I'd try the seafoam as so many people seem to have found some success with it (the 1/3 gas, 1/3 vacuum, 1/3 oil). The reason is my idle is still not as steady as I'd like. I have yet to attempt to clean the throttle body, but will be doing so soon enough too.

Luckily I do have a new plug, as I ordered one with a magnet when I ordered the filters and filter cover removal tool.

I have Mobil 1 to go in this time :)

I think I'll try the pipe wrench or those bolt remover sockets. I will not apply heat..

THanks.

n00bkiller944
10-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Pipe wrench has worked great for me on some cars at work that were impacted on!

billr99
10-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Bill, the OP wanted to tell he smoothed out the oil plug nut head so he can't remove it at all. The title was misleading...

Doh, you are correct. Attention deficit strike again. Sorry.

Bill