PDA

View Full Version : XC90: Wear on forward part of B pillar - interior

DRadeka
10-26-2011, 02:31 PM
I recently bought a 2008 XC90 3.2 AWD. This is my second Volvo (my other is a 2005 XC70). We really like the car but we just noticed some wear on the forward inside B-pillar, on both sides of the car. The driver's side is worse than the passenger side. In comparing with the XC 70 I noticed that the interior trim on the B pillar in that car is plastic, while on the 90 it is cloth. The cloth is pilled on the 9H.

has anyone else experienced this, and if so what did you do about it? I think an easy fix would be to find some sort of black plastic interior molding to glue in place over this area.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

gostus79
11-04-2011, 07:29 PM
I recently bought a 2008 XC90 3.2 AWD. This is my second Volvo (my other is a 2005 XC70). We really like the car but we just noticed some wear on the forward inside B-pillar, on both sides of the car. The driver's side is worse than the passenger side. In comparing with the XC 70 I noticed that the interior trim on the B pillar in that car is plastic, while on the 90 it is cloth. The cloth is pilled on the 9H.

has anyone else experienced this, and if so what did you do about it? I think an easy fix would be to find some sort of black plastic interior molding to glue in place over this area.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
I recently got an 07 XC90, had the same issue, i had the dealer replace it before i picked up the car, it was pretty bad. I have looked at many xc90s and they all had the same problem, i believe its caused by the seat belt and/or getting out of the car. My other car is an '04 xc70, and there is plastic molding and no damage to it, but if you look at the door seal it has been worn out due to the same issue. My advice is to order new moldings from the dealer and just replace them.

Volvodownunder
11-06-2011, 03:06 AM
I have a 2006 XC90 with the same issue. I reported it to the dealer as a fault during the warranty period - however Volvo Australia would not accept the claim - stating that it was a wear and tear issue. I was not happy - but then again it is in line with their current practice of declining many warranty claims whilst under Ford control. Hopefully now that the Chinese have taken over a different atitude will apply.:mad:

Paquettc
01-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Same boat here with our 2007 XC90. This is my second Volvo (07 V70) and countless other cars including BMW, and VW and the XC90 is the first of them to bring fabric so far down from the roof line. I spoke with my dealer and Volvo Canada claiming this was a design flaw but I was shot down.

So, being a neat freak and not being able to stand looking at it anymore I took the car to a local upholstery shop here in Ottawa and had the covers removed and upholstered in vinyl. They were able to match the colour almost perfectly and I think it looks great. After 6 months they still look new. Definitely worth the $150.

Chad

sovamind
02-21-2014, 02:04 AM
Add me to the list of people with this problem. I might pull the pieces off and see about getting them covered in something more durable as well. I also noticed today that the lacquer on my wood steering wheel has cracks in it as well. Not really much I'm going to be able to do about that I bet though...