PDA

View Full Version : tire time again

Pages : [1] 2

Sasquatch
10-26-2011, 09:13 AM
So, what do people think of the General Altimax HP?

The Tirerack has these in 215/65R16 for $93, plus $84.86 shipping.

I would still need to mount them up and balance.

Otherwise, Town Fair tire has Mastercraft Strategy at $115, plus $13 to mount/balance, and they have them in stock right here in town.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

06ORXC
10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
click link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplaywinter.jsp?type=W&VT=C

JRL
10-26-2011, 01:12 PM
I put these on the last XC I sold.
How they will be in the long run is anyone's guess, but to date they were THE quietest and smoothest tire I ever had on a P2 XC [thumbup] and for the money...terrific!

JRL
10-26-2011, 01:14 PM
click link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplaywinter.jsp?type=W&VT=C

No good.
He did not say Altimax arctic, just the Altimax which are not on this comparison

06ORXC
10-26-2011, 01:31 PM
:o

My father has those on his '07 XC70 for summer tires and they are very good performer.

Astro14
10-26-2011, 03:58 PM
Nokian WRG2 - right size, right speed rating, right load rating, quiet, smooth, good treadwear and handling...and great in the snow...I have them on the MB and the XC.

[thumbup]

OKCXC70
10-28-2011, 06:26 PM
I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. LOVE THEM!! Very quiet, great ride, good grip. Like the old Pirelli Scorpions were, not the new version. I don't know how long the tread will last, it is warranted to 45K miles. google 'em and check it out.

anyadang
10-28-2011, 06:44 PM
I should get some new tires next - I'm going to need them - 8" of snow expected tomorrow here DAMIT! Yea, already.

We've been having intense winters the past few years in NH, but they keep up on the roads really well too...

Are snow tires worth it with this car?

Astro14
10-28-2011, 09:31 PM
...only if you want to be able to stop or turn in the snow...

Otherwise, you can just run all season tires, like the dopes from the south...and wonder why AWD doesn't repeal the laws of physics as you stand beside your Volvo in a ditch...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=122&

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=116

billr99
10-29-2011, 05:22 AM
...like the dopes from the south...and wonder why AWD doesn't repeal the laws of physics as you stand beside your Volvo in a ditch...

:D:D:D:D:D[thumbup] So true! Even up here.

Cheers,

Bill

Astro14
10-29-2011, 05:35 AM
Experienced the false sense of security that AWD provides years ago, when the XC first came out. Rented one from Hertz in Burlington, VT during a snow storm, and there were a couple of times that the AWD masked the lack of traction in the wet, heavy snow...and I was all over the ABS trying to stop the car.

At that time, I was living in Colorado and had 4 Conti snow tires on my MB...and that old thing would outperform every SUV with All-seasons when the snow hit. The XC's AWD just masked the lack of traction and provided an utterly false sense of security...sure you can get going...but you don't crash because you can't get going...you crash because you can't stop or turn...

There is such a huge difference in snow performance between All-seasons (which is a terribly mis-leading label...) and dedicated winter tires, but most people have not experienced it. There is a reason that Germany requires 4 (not 2) dedicated winter tires from Nov 1 to Apr 1...it's the law there...here, we're free to be ignorant, or stupid...

I know, I know...another rant from Astro...I need another cup of coffee this morning...:D

JRL
10-29-2011, 05:39 AM
Yes you do, (more coffee)!
All seasons or snows, doesn't matter
All a snow tire will do do is give you (much) better traction to get going...not to stop!
There's not a tire out there that can make you stop any better (well, maybe a studded tire) which is why we all see many SUV accidents, even those with an aggressive tire on

Astro14
10-29-2011, 05:46 AM
Respectfully, I have to disagree with you on that score...running 4 Nokian Hakapellittas on an old 240 (Wagon, RWD, no ABS), I stopped on an icy downhill in Vermont so that I could help the driver of the Subaru Outback who could not stop on the same hill...there were lots of times that my MB or my 240 was in control while others were sliding to a stop in Vermont and Colorado. The siping and rubber compounds in modern snows make a huge difference on icy, slick roads and in the snow.

Objective testing:http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=116

And my lovely bride just brought me a second cup...all is well![thumbup]

Sasquatch
10-29-2011, 06:34 AM
The Mastercraft Strategy are M+S rated, so I think that makes them a snow tire, for what that is worth.

I found a site online (www.tireteam.com), which has them for $439.42 including shipping, which Town Fair will match.

Better than the bald Nokians on there now. Of course the tire place is a zoo today, with cars with numbers on them, people yelling, it is like a Chinese fire drill because of the coming Nor' Easter!

anyadang
10-29-2011, 06:51 AM
Thank you all... I'm going to Sam's club to get some snow tires!

Astro14
10-29-2011, 07:06 AM
The Mastercraft Strategy are all-seasons...M+S rating is only property of rubber - void ratio in the tread design...lots of SUVs have tires that are M+S rated. The BFG All Terrain TA KOs on my truck are M+S rated, but they are NOT snow tires...

Worse, the Mastercraft are the wrong speed and load rating. There is more to tires than the size...the speed, load rating and service application all matter...

Snow tires have the severe service emblem (the mountain with snowflake).

Go to http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=125 for an explanation...and the Continental Extreme Winter Contact is reasonably priced and performed the best in the Tire Rack comparison test.

Don't compromise your great car with cheap tires or tires that aren't suited for it...that's like putting on loafers to run a marathon...sure, they're shoes...but wrong for the application.

Sasquatch
10-29-2011, 07:13 AM
The BFG AT KO are absolutely one of the BEST snow tires I have ever had, and many, MANY agree with that sentiment.

I thought the M+S stood for Mud and Snow, which means snow tires.

No?

As far as compromise, the transmission is already a crapshoot, so why stress it? I'd rather let the tires slip a little to put less stress on it. ;-)

This car is overweight and a total pig. It sucks gas more than a pickup, and eats suspension, brakes and tires. The one thing I like about it is that it is pretty quiet and safe, and the engine pulls nicely.

Astro14
10-29-2011, 07:25 AM
Read the article on the link...short answer: NO.

Long answer - I have BFG AT KOS on the truck and love them...the BFGs are good in snow, but they suck in comparison to the Nokians that I had on my 240 or the Nokians on my XC now. They were/are phenomenal...and there is no comparison on ice...the actual performance is far different and maximizes both safety and control and allows you to use all that the XC has to offer: AWD, ABS, DSTC, etc...

That opinion is from people who have never driven on real winter tires...because they cost money and aren't required in the US. (which explains all the subies and SUVs I used to see wrecked in the Colorado mountains or in Vermont as I drove by in RWD car with no ABS...).

In Germany, it is the law that you mount 4 winter tires (severe service, not M+S) for winter...but then, they take driving seriously...as do the Quebecois...for whom it is the law as well...

Ars Gladius
10-29-2011, 07:46 AM
...they take driving seriously...as do the Quebecois...

[sly] I wouldn't go that far until you have driven in Quebec, especially Montreal. Turn signals are optional, stop signs are only suggestions, and god help you if you don't have QC plates or are in a federal government car or are a pedestrian.

Yes, there are good QC drivers and bad ON drivers. But even colleagues from QC agree that their fellow citizens are not the best behind the wheel.

Astro14
10-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Fair enough...I've been to Montreal many, many times...but my point was more that cabs and rental cars are required by law to have 4 snow tires during winter...almost like the Germans...

But obeying traffic laws? Oh, mon Dieu!

Ars Gladius
10-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Indeed.

British Columbia also has winter tire laws.

You are required by law to have 4 winter tires or tire chains on all vehicles (including rental cars, buses and commercial vehicles) to drive mountain roads (including major highways) between October 1st and April 30th.

The police will stop and inspect cars and will turn you around if you are not in compliance and give you a nice $120+ fine. Typically the inspections are done on roads to major ski resorts.

Want to guess if most of the rental companies in Vancouver have a snow tire option?

flyswede
10-29-2011, 10:48 AM
In Germany, it is the law that you mount 4 winter tires (severe service, not M+S) for winter...but then, they take driving seriously...as do the Quebecois...for whom it is the law as well...

Sorry, that's not quite right. By law here one must have appropiate tires under certain winter conditions, which means any kind of snow or ice. M+S are considered sufficient by law. So no snow or ice: no requirement to have M+S or snow tires. Driving summer tires in mentioned winter conditions are fined. Of course there are certain signposted roads e.g. in mountains that require snow tires or chains.

Astro14
10-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Fair enough- I was going off the remembered information from both Hertz on my rental there this week and my German friends.

Point remains the same: Germany requires the tires...people here are free to be morons...

wyomingbob
11-01-2011, 08:14 PM
The Mastercraft Strategy are M+S rated, so I think that makes them a snow tire, for what that is worth.

M+S-rated means 'all season.' They're rated for "light" snow.

Xilikon
11-02-2011, 03:17 AM
Here in Quebec, it's mandatory to have winter tires between december 15th and march 15th for all cars. Starting in 2014, the M+S rating are not allowed as well.

The only real winter tires are stamped with a logo consisting of a mountain and a snowflake :

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2010/12/14/qc-winter-tire-logo-1412.jpg

IMHO, those who driver in winter with summer tires, where there is enough snow, are considered morons for me.

Skater
11-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Yes you do, (more coffee)!
All seasons or snows, doesn't matter
All a snow tire will do do is give you (much) better traction to get going...not to stop!
There's not a tire out there that can make you stop any better (well, maybe a studded tire) which is why we all see many SUV accidents, even those with an aggressive tire on
You couldn't be more wrong. Snow tires start AND stop AND turn much better than an all-season on snow and ice. There are many videos online to prove that if you don't believe it.

vengeanceis
11-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I still think the best tire for this car all-year-round is Goodyear Assurance TripleTred.

I have Altimax HP on the car now, they've been performing well (and they're cheap too, got them for much lower price two years ago - around ~$84 apiece at discounttire installation & shipping included - you need to shop around!). but Assurance TT is way cooler, and is exceptional on ice and in poring rain. for TT's I paid around $700 for the set of 4 (... but that was a long-long time ago)

PieterJ
11-04-2011, 02:26 PM
Ran General Altimax HP's on my '05 for 33k miles with 5K mile rotations and regular alignment checks. They wore down evenly but were very close to the wear indicators at the end and suffered quite a bit from "singing" - almost sounded like the wheel bearings were shot. Replaced them with Nokians WRG2's which solved the noise - now looking forward to winter and snow to try the nokian's out.

Astro14
11-04-2011, 02:39 PM
My experience is that this car eats tires at the rate of a new set every 35K...can't explain it...keep the alignment good...but it just plain wears out tires faster than anything I've owned...

That said, the best tires I've experienced for all season use are the Nokian WRG2s....have them on the 300E and the XC and they are great tires...not cheap...but great tires...

jyanno
11-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Seems like most are not using 215/65 R16, when not using the Pirelli.

Should I replace with 235/60 R16 if I do not use the stock?

Astro do you have the nokian SUV?

Are there any yokohama or michelin's which are recommended?

Seems like selection is few and far between if you really require XL.

Pennhaven
11-05-2011, 11:54 AM

You might want to check out the Yokohama YK 520 or YK 580. These are all season asymmetrical tread models made by Yokohama for distribution by Discount Tire. I just switched from the YK 520 to the newer YK 580 design.

I liked the performance of 520s a lot. Of course all I had to compare them to was the stock Pirelli Scorpion STRs. So mine is just one person's seat of the pants evaluation. In my opinion though the YK 520 performance was superior to the Pirelli's on dry and wet roads and very similar on snow. The Yokos were also quieter, at least until they got over 20,000 miles, when they started to "sing" a little. Discount Tire siped them for me then for $10 per tire and, somewhat to my surprise - since I was skeptical, that cured the noise and I believe also improved the grip and steering feel.

The YK 520 wear was very even across the tire, much more so than the Pirellis. Tread life was slightly worse though overall, but the good news there being that because the Yokos are warrantied for 60,000 miles, Discount Tire gave me nice pro-rated mileage rebate of about $65 / tire to apply to the new YK 580s, no questions asked.

The YK 580s are a newer design and are supposed to be better in every respect than the 520s. In 215/65R16 98H the 580s sell for $114.00 here vs. $109 for the 520s. Discount also sells Yokokama's standard AVID Envigor for $118, but they rate it inferior to the YK-580 (UTQG 560AA vs. 580AA.)

Astro14
11-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Seems like most are not using 215/65 R16, when not using the Pirelli.

Should I replace with 235/60 R16 if I do not use the stock?

Astro do you have the nokian SUV?

Seems like selection is few and far between if you really require XL.

I do have the Nokian WR G2 SUVs on the Volvo and the WR G2s on the MB...they're identical in appearance, but the Volvo's are XL load range...

I recommend that you go to www.tirerack.com - it's a great resource for tire information: testing, specs, consumer feedback. You'll notice that if you search by size, you'll have lots of choices in your size, but if you search by vehicle, there are few...that's because your car specs a 215/65R16 XL with at least an H speed rating, and few tire models meet that spec.

You don't have to use the tires that are spec'd for the car, unless you live in a place like Germany, where the TUV requires it for your safety. Personally, I wanted a tire that met ALL the specs...I flew enough flight test in my life...I prefer to know that my daily transportation is correctly equipped.

Lots of folks will disagree with me and that's their choice...but there's a reason that Tire Rack won't sell you the incorrect spec...and you would have to be a tire engineer and do the testing to know what you could get away with for lower rated tires...

jyanno
11-06-2011, 09:06 AM
For the YK580, I have not seen any reviews yet with XC70 ( I have MY04 ), as they are new.

Would you get the 235/60R16XL or the 215/65R16 98H with the YK580s?

215/55R16XL 97H BW
215/65R16 98H BW
225/55R16XL 99V BW
235/60R16XL 100H BW

I am thinking of going with the Nokian WRG2 SUV 215/65R16/XL 102H, since they seem to be proven out. But it would save me a couple bux with the YKs.

My top priority is safety as my wife was in a very bad accident a while back and she drives the XC with my two daughters (both under 5).

Astro14
11-06-2011, 04:31 PM
If the highest level of safety is important, then I would run the Yokos for summer, and invest in a set of dedicated winter tires, like the Blizzaks or the Hakapelliittas mounted on an extra set of wheels (saves the mounting problem twice/year and $$ in the long run). I know that you live in NJ, but on ice, those dedicated winter tires can stop in half the distance of all-season tires like the Yokos. Being able to stop in the shortest possible distance is important to safety.

Now, for less than the cost of 4 new wheels and tires, the Nokian WRG2s are a winter tire that can be run all year around. I have not seen an objective test of the WRG2s vs. say, the Hakapelliittas, but they would be very close...the WRG2s have great winter traction, the result of rubber compound, tread design and siping.

The cheapest option (and least safe) is to just buy all season tires. Most people do this...but that's because they think with their wallet at the tire store, instead of assessing risk vs. severity of outcome. I've seen so many wrecked 4WD and AWD SUVs and cars in the mountains of Colorado and Vermont that I've lost count. All that power management means nothing if the tires can't grip the road to brake or steer and the result is a crash...from simply sliding into a ditch to truly wrecking...and I have been behind several cars and watched them wreck while I brought my 2WD car with 4 winter tires safely to a stop to assist...

In your case, I would go with the WRG2s since you value safety over cost. They're more $ than the Yokohamas...but they will stop faster on ice, snow or slush than the Yokohamas...and get very close to the performance (and safety) of the dedicated winter tire set up.

Pennhaven
11-12-2011, 02:20 PM
No argument with Astro's recommendations when safety is the highest priority.

I do want to give the YK 580s a provisional thumb up though, having just put 1,500 miles on them this week driving to tidewater Virginia and back through Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

I was extremely impressed with them on dry interstates through the mountains. How they'll do in the rain and snow remains to be seen, but if they are also a major step better than the YK 520 in those conditions, then they should make for a very nice all season tire for our cars.

GI Joe
11-22-2011, 10:50 AM
I've put about 20K on my XC, and I'm getting some slippage in the rain. The tread is getting pretty low and they'll need replaced soon.(Michellin Harmony? that came on the car when I bought it)
I've read this thread and see a lot about the WRG2, and the YK580.

With our climate here in E.TN, we don't really see much snow, but we do get some hefty rain. This thread seemed to focus on winter/Snow driving.

Anyone in a not so snowy, yet not totally dry, climate have any recommendations from personal experience?

Cost is a huge factor for me, but safety is bigger, this is the Fam wagon after all!!

Thoughts?

sjonnie
11-22-2011, 11:04 AM
With our climate here in E.TN, we don't really see much snow, but we do get some hefty rain. This thread seemed to focus on winter/Snow driving. Thoughts?
Can't beat GoodYear Assurance TripleTread in the rain - IMHO ;)

RichS
11-22-2011, 05:02 PM
According to GoodYear web site, no suitable Assurance Triple Tred tire is available in 215/65R 16 size. According to Tire Rack, Assurance TripleTred All-Season is available in 215/65R 16 size but is only 'T' speed rated, so unsuitable for Volvo.

Altimax is a good, cost-effective option and decent in the rain.

GI Joe
11-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Sjonnie,
I appreciate the reply, but I have long been against "good"year tires. I have had Horrible service out of a few sets in the past, and simply don't trade with them anymore.
With that said, I went on tirerack and did some looking about...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

The Geolandars are on my mind as I just installed a set on my Thing, and I've had them on a few other vehicles in the past. They've given Great service and drive very well. Of course an AT on the XC might not be the best.... Or maybe it is! I've been tempted to give her a little lift, but not sure the suspension would appreciate the increased angles.:confused: They seem rough on suspension bits already... no need to exaggerate that weakness.

Be interested to hear anyone else that's run an AT tire on the XC.. How did they hold up?

Ars Gladius
11-22-2011, 09:17 PM
There are a few users (Carboncow, etc) who have Geolanders (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18421&highlight=geolander) on their XCs, overall it has been very positive.

I will be putting a set of them on mine this spring once the winters come off.

There is also one user (uscgc70) that has BFG Mud Terrains (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11967), I believe, however he does use the car off-road for field work and they are not that suited to pavement use.

sjonnie
11-22-2011, 10:41 PM
I appreciate the reply, but I have long been against "good"year tires. I have had Horrible service out of a few sets in the past, and simply don't trade with them anymore.
Goodyear make some of the top rates tires out there, just because you had a bad experience in the past doesn't mean their current offerings are bad. Anyway, when I replaced my TripleTreds I was tempted to go with the Geolander AT (was looking for a more off-road capable tire and didn't want asymmetrical again) but instead went for the Toyo Open Country HT. They are H rated, symmetrical and given good marks by Off-Road Magazine. After 12K miles they are holding up well. I'm interested to see how they do in the Midwest winter. So far I'd say they aren't as good as the TripleTreds, but considering the difference in design I'd say they are a fair compromise.

sjonnie
11-22-2011, 10:45 PM
According to Tire Rack, Assurance TripleTred All-Season is available in 215/65R 16 size but is only 'T' speed rated, so unsuitable for Volvo.
Yep, that's what I had. I put 50K miles on my set, with over half of that with a fully laden car doing about 80mph or so. They handled great in pretty much every condition until a rock went through the right front tire on a dirt road. For pure US highway driving they were just fine, if you're racing on the German autobahn maybe you need V rated tires, otherwise they're a pointless waste of money.

MacNoob
11-23-2011, 10:36 AM
if you're racing on the German autobahn maybe you need V rated tires, otherwise they're a pointless waste of money.

Disagree. V-rated tires are not just rated for higher maximum speed, they also have stiffer construction in order to withstand those speeds, which makes a difference in handling and ride. I figure with the soft tall suspension these cars have, they need all the handling help they can get.

Astro14
11-23-2011, 04:35 PM
There are so many other variables that go into speed ratings and the applicability or suitability of tires for a particular chassis combination that it is hard to describe it here (though, Lord knows, I've tried...).

Speed ratings and load ratings are specified by the manufacturer for the intended use of the vehicle. You can't simply put a T-rated tire on a car and say "there, it's good for 118 MPH" because that is only true if several other conditions, including load, inflation pressure and temperature fall within specified limits. Higher speed ratings are really a measure of the tires' ability to handle heat as well as circumferential force...but those qualities depend on the proper inflation pressure as well...ask any owner of a 90's vintage Ford Explorer about this...and failing tires...

Winter tires typically have lower speed ratings since it is known that they will be used in cold temperatures...

This car specifies an H speed rating and an XL load rating. The correct UTQG service description for this car is a 98H (you can use a 98V...it's higher speed, but the same load rating). Go to www.tirerack.com and plug in the car make/model/year and you'll see a very specific set of tires that are 98H or better (again, winter tires are likely a 98T because they'll be run in the cold) that they will sell you for this car. That's because Tire Rack won't sell you a tire that has the wrong load rating.

The Goodyears being recommended in this thread do not have the correct load rating specified by Volvo. Neither do the Michelin Hydroedge, though they are both fine tires on other cars. That's why the Goodyear site tells you that there are no suitable tires for this car...the tire manufacturer knows it... Mount them if you like (many tire shops won't because of liability concerns) but you just became a test driver.

The General Altimax are 98H...so you can run them, but I have no personal experience with the tire...The new Goodyear Eagle LS2s are 102V and suitable, but again, no personal experience with them...

Just because a tire fits on the wheel doesn't mean that it is the correct tire for this application...

WallaceK
11-24-2011, 08:54 AM
Just joined this forum. I'm looking to replace my Triple Treds as I've had TWO sets on my 2004 XC 70 that got just 25,000 miles (same experience with the OEM Pirellis). I recently replaced front struts, front and wear stabilizer links (103,000 miles). I'm fascinated by earlier comments on this forum that members put 34 or even 35 psi in their tires; Volvo recommends 30-30 and I've been strictly maintaining my tires at 33-32 front to back. But as my tires tend to wear towards the edges I'm wondering if I've been UNDERINFLATING for the last 6-1/2 years?? I've also had a lot of trouble with my alignment going out more than once a year (once right before a 15 hour round trip drive that ruined a new pair of tires) - I'm now aligning twice per year automatically. What I hear from Volvo dealer and the Volvo "expert" (trained at Volvo) at my local repair shop is that Volvos (4 wheel drive) chew through tires ("lucky you don't own a XC 90"), though they can't explain my bad luck with alignments. LOOKING FOR REAL WORLD ADVICE ON TIRE INFLATION FOR XC70. You guys are getting much better mileage than I am!
Tire advice I received this week:
I actually have a high school friend who is a senior manager at CR: recommends Hankook Optimo H727 even though T rated
Local shop owner who works on my family's 4 cars: he drives GY Assurance Comfort Treds
Tire Rack guy on phone: the Comfort Treds or BF Goodrich Advantage TA (have never seen these highly rated)
Me: I like the Triple Treds, but my experience with their mileage is terrible (I thought the Pirellis handled well too), but maybe I'm underinflating in spite of Volvo's recommendation. I drive the Michelin MX-4 on my 6-cyl Accord (2 sets) which are top-rated and have gotten 60,000 miles and have not dry rotted (like some complain about Michelins) but they art NOT good in snow...and they're expensive.
My sons' cars (both 4-cyl): both Toyo Extensa A/S and like them; decently rated and would save me some $$
Looking forward to your advice/thoughts/opinions!

Skater
11-25-2011, 03:47 PM
The label on the door on my 2006 xc70 says 35psi front, 38 psi rear, for 215/65r16 tires.

Astro14
11-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Yep...and regular passenger car tires are rated for max load at 35 PSI...

While XL load tires are rated for higher pressures...and that margin of increased load is part of the spec...and why not all tires are correct for this car...

wgriswold
11-26-2011, 08:01 PM
I am confused about tire ratings and what they mean and I hope you all can help. My XC came with 98V tires that wore out at 25K miles. I understand that the 98 refers to load rating and the V to speed ratings.

When I went to tire stores to replace the OEM tires I was offered 98V, 98H, and 98T. So, I thought they all had the same load rating but different speed ratings. Since the T tires had a speed rating of 118 mph and I never exceed 70 mph, I went with the recommendation from Les Schwab and installed TOYO 98T tires. I have to admit that I have no idea how the speed ratings correspond to tire construction or safety if driven at less than the rating.

The only difference I can feel is somewhat more leaning while driving on curving mountain roads. So maybe the sidewalls are more stiff in a V tire and the rubber is softer since I got 60K from the T tires compared to the V tires.

It seems clear that I am using the same load rated tire but a lower speed rating and that gives me much better mileage but the question is: am I compromising safety?

Astro14
11-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Wait - the sidewalls are more stiff in a higher speed rating...the carcase has to be more resistant to stretch at high speed...so it's stronger/stiffer...

Are you compromising safety? Geez...I am not qualified to say...I am not a tire engineer (though, it's clear from all my posts that I've spent some time talking with one...)...and I don't know what Volvo had in mind when they spec'd the tires...

If I knew what Volvo had in mind for operating conditions when they spec'd a 98H...then we could tell if/when you were getting close to the limit or not...but I don't know if Volvo wanted a 98H for a fully loaded car on the Autobahn...or if they wanted a 98H for a fully loaded car on I-10 through death valley at 70 MPH...and saved the 98V for the autobahn...and then allowed the 98T for winter only...I just don't know that. And all the opinions on tires on this forum are guesses...none of the posters are tire engineers.

IF you don't drive over 70...and if you're not fully loaded in the heat, and you avoid the high heat...then, I would guess you're OK. But it's my guess...I didn't engineer or test the car and I didn't specify the tires...

Skater
11-29-2011, 09:59 PM
This car specifies an H speed rating and an XL load rating. The correct UTQG service description for this car is a 98H (you can use a 98V...it's higher speed, but the same load rating). Go to www.tirerack.com and plug in the car make/model/year and you'll see a very specific set of tires that are 98H or better (again, winter tires are likely a 98T because they'll be run in the cold) that they will sell you for this car. That's because Tire Rack won't sell you a tire that has the wrong load rating.

That odd, because I just searched for a tire for a 2006 xc70, and it actually gave me a couple choices for a 96V tire in the 17" size, and even a 96H for the 16", and in both cases they were all season tires. That's really bad on their part.