PDA

View Full Version : Stock Audio System Subwoofer...

Mark B. Fowler
10-25-2011, 06:55 PM
I have just purchased for my wife an absolutely perfect 2002 XC70 with just 61,000 miles on the clock. We love the beast to death, but I have never left any of our cars alone in the stereo department. This car is a bit different, and I am a bit gun shy to turkey with the stock configuration (although it is actually pretty darn impressive). I noticed there is another member selling a factory subwoofer... where the heck is this thing hidden? Is there a chance we already have one? If we don't, is it even worth it? Just curious... thanks.

JRL
10-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Under the rear floorboard and YES it is worth it

Q-ship
10-26-2011, 06:59 AM
I forget, is the sub only for non-third row cars?

JRL
10-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Can't have both, either or......

Mad Cune
10-26-2011, 10:28 AM
Is that a subwoofer on the dashboard too? Or just a regular speaker? I didnt know the sub was in the rear. Now I have to look again. Is there an option to add an additional Amp/sub to the existing factory head? I need more bass and don't want to change the head unit, its so awkward.

Thanks

JRL
10-26-2011, 01:03 PM
That's nothing in your dash, it's just a grill
the factory Volvo Nav screen goes there or the Dolby center speaker if you had the optional system
(which you don't)
NO sub ever goes in any dashboard, they're too large and it would sound bloody awful.
You want mid-highs in a dash speaker to hear voice.
You can add the 300W amp from the HU803 system, it should sound better and is a bolt up, plug and play. used ones come up from time to time for $100 or so
Find a factory sub, you will have TONS of bass that way
There is also a hidden menu to set up your EQ.
I used to have the sheet but don't anymore, someone will chime in soon enough and give it to you
It should sound much better after your personal adjustment.

I thought you said you fool around with the sound system on every car you own?
From these comments it doesn't sound as if you know that much about car stereo

billr99
10-26-2011, 01:17 PM
I used to have the sheet but don't anymore, someone will chime in soon enough and give it to you

I believe that the document that JRL refers to is linked within this thread (http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?120823-HU-803-Hidden-Menu).

Cheers,

Bill

Ocean Racer
10-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Hidden menu :http://s60r.fadainc.com/tips/Audio_System_HU803_Hidden_Menus.pdf
Sadly, it has been impossible for me to get a rear factory sub. :o

Mark B. Fowler
10-27-2011, 04:08 PM
Under the rear floorboard and YES it is worth it

Fantastic, I will start poking around. We have literally just picked the car up, and the owners manual was a bit vague on this topic. Thank you sir.

Mark B. Fowler
10-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Hidden menu :http://s60r.fadainc.com/tips/Audio_System_HU803_Hidden_Menus.pdf
Sadly, it has been impossible for me to get a rear factory sub. :o

Thank you sir, after I put the little one to bed, I shall print this hidden menu out, so that I may try out some of the options listed. We shall see if this is the major improvement that has been suggested.

Mark B. Fowler
10-27-2011, 04:43 PM
That's nothing in your dash, it's just a grill
the factory Volvo Nav screen goes there or the Dolby center speaker if you had the optional system
(which you don't)
NO sub ever goes in any dashboard, they're too large and it would sound bloody awful.
You want mid-highs in a dash speaker to hear voice.
You can add the 300W amp from the HU803 system, it should sound better and is a bolt up, plug and play. used ones come up from time to time for $100 or so

I thought you said you fool around with the sound system on every car you own?
From these comments it doesn't sound as if you know that much about car stereo

Actually, this is my first post to this site, as I have only just picked up the car. In regard to the comments above, I did not ask or suggest that there might be a sub in the dash (realizing that would be a rather poor design). I am actually a dyed in the wool audiophile of 20 plus years, with a solid foundation in sound systems, sound quality, and acoustics for both home and mobile installations. Having installed dozens of car audio systems for myself, friends, and family, I have gotten to the point of admitting when there may be someone more knowledgeable than myself in certain subjects (hence the request for guidance). I have had the unfortunate request of friends to modify ridiculous premium factory systems, with many hidden speakers and amplifiers throughout the car. What a nightmare... hopefully, I will have better luck sourcing the premium factory setup for my wife's wagon. I work for a large conglomerate of car dealers, with Volvo being one of the brands we sell... should this car not have the subwoofer, and there are none to be had second hand, I will source one from work. Thank you again for your input.

JRL
10-27-2011, 05:17 PM
You will be amazed at the difference with a factory sub and working with the hidden menu
If you find a (used) 300W Volvo amp, all the better [thumbup]
You could also find a used HU803 Dolby head unit but then you DO need the big amp and better speakers.
That one takes the center channel but that rus off the radio and is not 100% necessary

Mad Cune
11-03-2011, 07:30 AM
does the HU-613 have a hidden menu as well? very interested. how successful has anyone been in replacing the head unit with an aftermarket head? what factory system can i upgrade to? i want to use all winter to get the sound right in the wagon (The Family Man)

Thanks

billr99
11-03-2011, 10:59 AM
does the HU-613 have a hidden menu as well? very interested. how successful has anyone been in replacing the head unit with an aftermarket head? what factory system can i upgrade to? i want to use all winter to get the sound right in the wagon (The Family Man)

Thanks

Yep. Look under the Resources section of this site and you will see instructions on the HU-613 right there.

Cheers,

Bill

Mad Cune
11-04-2011, 06:50 AM
Thanks Bill! Checking now! What about a good replacement unit that is OEM? Which one would you suggest?

Mad Cune
11-10-2011, 10:29 AM
So the hidden menu for the EQ was great. now I clearly need better speakers. My original question about adding an aftermarket sub (I have one already) to the HU-613 was intended to see if it was possible. If not i would have to hook the sub to my other amp only. I took them out of my 855 and havent used them since (both clarion). I would like to use my current amp/subwoofer to save money if possible. I dont want to add that factory amp you recommended unless I have an option to use my sub with it as well. Any feedback is welcome! Thanks again.