PDA

View Full Version : Experience installing an angle bevel drive drain

lichty
10-23-2011, 03:14 PM
I note this has been discussed here but no one seems to done it. Found Mr. Winkey's tutorial on Volvospeed and followed it most of the way. Ran into the problem that was not addressed with the engine oil cooler. Did have to take out the 4 Torx bolts and move it out of the way so I could get the angle drive drill in the hole. Also found out a short quarter inch drill bit is required. Next the bit was placed in the bolt hole and the angle drive drill chuck attached. After the hole was through the case it took awhile to have the oil drain out. At 137K miles the oil was not a bad color. At this point I used low pressure compressed air in the filler hole to clean out oil and other residue which appeared to be metal particles, not from the drill. Refilled the case with genuine Volvo bevel gear synthetic.

Not a bad experience, but I learned the oil cooler does contain oil, imagine that?

Hope this helps.

n00bkiller944
10-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Interesting! Do you have any pics?

lichty
10-24-2011, 09:48 AM
No pictures as the Volvospeed site has excellent pictures, except for the oil cooler. My '04 also has no vibration damper as seen in the pictures.

USHGAPB
10-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Hello all,

I've been watching this thread with interest, hoping it would further develop. I was wondering if anyone had ever installed an actual drain plug on the bottom of the bevel gear case, the Haldex unit, or differential. Several considerations come to mind:

1. Metal shavings from the drilling/tapping operation.(Could be reduced, using grease-coated drills and taps. Might be cleaned out by flushing with clean oil and compressed air through the fill plug).

2. Finding a surface flat enough so the drain plug sealing washer would be effective.

3. Putting a steel drain plug into threads cut into an aluminum case. (I don't know the thickness of any of the cases, and there may not be room for a sufficient amount of threads).

Still, I wonder if anyone has done it. Volvo's procedure to drill a hole for a drain plug into the bevel gear's casing is kinda cheesy, in my opinion. I suppose using Teflon tape to seal the threads of the stud will work okay, but it still seems like an invitation to another greasy "dribble line" down the bevel gear case.

So, has anyone drilled/tapped/installed actual drain plugs on the bottoms of the drive-train components that don't already have them?

lichty
10-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Am happy with bevel gear case. The idea of the other two gear case drain taps will depend upon where to locate because of metal gauge and metal type. I worry about dissimilar metals and reactions.

Will keep looking and maybe someone will find the answer.