PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft / Viscous Coupling

DAK
10-17-2011, 10:44 AM
OK.....driveshaft was out of my 1998 V70xc, for some reason - looks to be bad? (Previous owner not available for comment....) Ordered a replacement from CO Driveshaft. Before I put it in, is there any way to test/confirm that the Viscous Coupling is OK?

I'm hoping that the Driveshaft is just the issue. If not, is there an alternative to "New"....or trying to find a used one?

JRL
10-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm hoping that the Driveshaft is just the issue.

If not, is there an alternative to "New"...

.or trying to find a used one?

Huh?
You just said you already ordered a rebuilt from CO Driveshaft

8pack
10-17-2011, 03:07 PM
I think he means if the driveshaft is fine and the problem turns out to be the VC......

Yes you can get a used one. Also changing it out yourself is not that big a job. If it is the VC it will make a noise sort of like grinding dirt. The clutches will be bad and grinding on each other......

Could be a bad bevel gear also, but you won't know until you put the driveshaft back in. Make sure your BG is filled properly with oil. Synthetic Gear oil...75/90....

DAK
10-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks 8Pack.... Yes the Driveshaft is definitely bad - hence ordering the one from CO Driveshaft. It should be here in a day-or-two. Didn't see any leaks around the VC, but will have to wait until the shaft is back in. (With the BG still spinning when the Prop Shaft is out, wouldn't you still hear a whine, growl, etc... from the BG? Or, does it have to be under load to diagnose?)

Thanks Again...

JRL
10-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Unless a gear inside is literally broken, usually not.
You usually won't hear any noises without a load on it

A bad or a going bad BG is usually a whine *as previously said, unless completely broken.
VCs rarely go bad and do not leak, not much to leak. The "fluid" inside is more like a glue, very thick stuff

DAK
10-19-2011, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the help (JRL/8Pack)...hopefully all the replacement parts will be here before the weekend. I didn't see any seals leaking on the BG outputs, the VC looked dry......hopefully it's only the Prop Shaft that was the problem - could use some luck with this one.

*Front Wheel Hub Brgs
*Frt Rotors/Calipers/Brake Hoses
*Prop Shaft
*Rear EmerBrake Cable/Shoes (possibly rear wheel bearing)
*Etc........