PDA

View Full Version : 2001 XC70 transmission installation

lorenorder
10-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Does anyone have any advice on the transmission installation process ?

Can it be done by anyone other than a volvo mechanic ?

I am considering doing it myself , at my shop (woodwrking/metalworking)

while I am not an auto mechanic I am working with my hands and problem solving all day every day . and my tool selection is pretty good.

I am unfortunately very low on funds(just spent 2000.00 on front end parts, tires , battery , wheel bearing, exhaust stuff.....)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and considerations.

ps. any advice on the best source for a used (with warrenty) trannsmission or remanufactured , or or or

Thanks , Loren

n00bkiller944
10-14-2011, 08:48 PM
It would be tough, but not impossible. I have never seen a write up online but I am sure there is one. I did a transmission on my S70 which wasn't too bad, but now you have to deal with all of the AWD stuff too... I would love to see you do this and post a lot of pics!

The biggest issue I see is finding a solid transmission. Any used trans you buy is going to be plagued with all of the same issues and weak points your had. You might want to search online and get one off the internet with a warranty and be prepared to do it again if it fails prematurely.

Astro14
10-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Service manuals on this are in short supply...the Hanes doesn't cover a complete swap...presumably because it's beyond DIY (I disagree on this point...)

I would get a one month subscription to one of the service manual providers, e.g. All Data, and read through it. At the very least, you need an engine brace and transmission jack and room to work. I assume you've got a good set of tools (you've said so...) and have at least done a RWD transmission...you may discover during the read through that some of the steps in this are beyond what you are able to accomplish given your circumstances...

Seamus
10-15-2011, 08:27 AM
I think it's pretty doable. I think automatics are easier to take out than manual's because you don't have to clear the input shaft when taking it off. I took the trans out of my s60 to do the clutch. It wasnt bad, just took a while. And yeah an engine brace and trans jack are necessary. It also might help to do it with 2 people, it's much easier that way. The only thing you have extra is awd, but I don't think it's too hard taking out the angle gear.

lorenorder
10-15-2011, 08:35 AM
thanks , good advice on subscribing to the service manual provider , short term .
I am realizing I may be able to get one of my mechanic friends to supply me with that info (if they ever get the time )
I have not had any luck finding a thread or post on the transplant by a "non-expert" . makes me wonder . (or by an expert for that matter)

I do have loads of jacks, jack stands , and the usual hand tools , but I have run into occasional problems with Volvos and VW's because I did not have a special tool (s)

I have not done a major transplant on an a car like this but I have worked on Jeeps , Toyota pickups , and many motorcycles .

hmmm. If I do it then I may not have to sell the dual-purpose bike

aaarrrgghhh

lorenorder
10-15-2011, 08:38 AM
that sounds a little encouraging , based on your description Seamus, my biggest hurdle may be finding a good replacement .

Ars Gladius
10-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Have a look through the service instructions:

AW50/51 AWD Remove (http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/XC70_P2_AW50-51_Trans_Remove.pdf) (now available in site resource area)

AW50/51 AWD Install (http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/XC70_P2_AW50-51_Trans_Install.pdf) (now available in site resource area)

The "special tools" listed at the start of the instructions are just normal jacks, jimmy bars, jack adapter plates, etc that are essentially off the shelf items. There does not appear to be any proprietary Volvo items.

Astro14
10-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Ars - I wasn't able to download the .pdfs cleanly...any chance you could upload to the resources section?

Thanks. I would love to see what's involved...just in case...

Ars Gladius
10-15-2011, 01:24 PM
Double checked the links and the PDFs downloaded ok.

I've e-mailed them in anyway for the resource section as requested.

n00bkiller944
10-15-2011, 01:30 PM
It says the file is corrupt for me too... I would love to read it as well if possible. Probably a smart document to keep handy!

Ars Gladius
10-15-2011, 01:34 PM
EDIT: Updated links in original post (as one file was corrupt) after n00bkiller post below.

n00bkiller944
10-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Thank you! the Removal one opened just fine, but the install one will not.

Thanks again Ars!

lorenorder
10-15-2011, 05:56 PM
thanks much! Gladius (and all involved with this thread as its a new thing for me)
I had no problem downloading the remove file, trying the install now .

are you aware of any change in compatibility throughout this model run?

ending 2007 right? I would assume that the later the better as far as software and hardware may be concerned.

lorenorder
10-15-2011, 06:13 PM
install file (alternate) has downloaded successfully as well .

now I need to gamble on a tranny.

Price ranges on Ebay vary from 650.00 to 2000.00 all used (non reman).

all with some sort of warranty. The ones I am looking at are within reasonable driving distance of my hudson valley NY home (CT, MA)

hhmmmmm. . . .

ideally I could get a 2007 transmission I suppose.

JRL
10-15-2011, 07:26 PM
No you can't
03 and newer are not compatible electronically

n00bkiller944
10-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Thank you!!!! And just buy an 02 trans for super cheap and pray for the best lol

Tahoe_XC
10-16-2011, 01:11 PM
JRL-

Question on your statement above. If the 01/02 is running a AW55-50SN isn't the only difference in the TCM commands to the solenoids? Is the electrical differences in the valve body configurations? Could one put a rebuild valve body from the 01/02 onto a later model AW55-50SN?

Thanks for helping me understand.

Erik

JRL
10-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Yes the solenoids are different
Can you swap valve bodies? That I don't know and I do not have that much technical knowledge to answer intelligently, it would just be a guess

Pelimanni
11-05-2011, 04:23 AM
Loren:

I can't give you advice on the transplant, but I do have a remanufactured transmission from an 01 XC70 within easy driving distance of your location.

Our 2001 XC70 was totaled in March. I have been parting it out and the tranny is still available. This unit is Volvo (or Volvo-approved third party) remanufactured and it has only 9612 miles on it. It was installed by the local Volvo dealer on 22 June 2010 to replace the original. It performed flawlessly until the car was wrecked.

Paperwork from the Volvo dealer shows $1551 for labor and $3700 as the value of the unit. I am asking $1700. JRL, who knows this market well, characterized this price as "a steal."

The tranny is still married to the engine on a pallet in my yard here in Long Island. You/we would just need to separate them.

Please e-mail me if you are interested at 2001xc70 at gmail.com.

Thanks!

Jon

LightGesture
04-14-2014, 09:26 AM
OP:: How did the transmission swap go? You never gave an update.. Thanks :)

Have a look through the service instructions:

AW50/51 AWD Remove (http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/XC70_P2_AW50-51_Trans_Remove.pdf) (now available in site resource area)

AW50/51 AWD Install (http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/XC70_P2_AW50-51_Trans_Install.pdf) (now available in site resource area)

The "special tools" listed at the start of the instructions are just normal jacks, jimmy bars, jack adapter plates, etc that are essentially off the shelf items. There does not appear to be any proprietary Volvo items.

Do I really have to lower the entire engine? I have done 3 tranny swaps and replaced 2 clutches in my day, I've never had to drop the entire engine.. Are Volvo's that tedious? [pico]
Thanks