PDA

View Full Version : Lowering nivomats

wezo00
10-12-2011, 09:34 PM
I replaced the stock rear suspension with nivomat (OEM self-leveling) suspension on my '05 V70 AWD. This mod did raise up the rear of the car for about 1.5 inches!! Bad sides are: Camber changed and tires wear badly; Poor handling in curves; Unwanted look...

I'm looking for a good (and safe) solution to bring it back as low as it was before (1.5" or 2" down) but unsuccessfully 'till now.

- Can I put back my stock coils?
- Who sells lowering coils for nivomats?

I heard of Drop bolts but it can't be used with P2 V70/XC70's.

Any solution?

billr99
10-13-2011, 06:07 AM
Nivomat shocks by their design have a spring rate so it is no wonder that your car is now sitting arse high, assuming that you are not using the Nivomat-specified springs which, being softer, should have maintained a stock ride height. The problem is that the suspension options for the P2 AWD wagons are fairly limited. Obviously if you want to get back to stock height the most logical answer is to go back to stock springs and shocks in the rear. On the other hand, proper springs (PN 8666292 if I'm reading VIDA right) for your Nivomats should also bring it down to stock height. If you wish a bit of a drop, try Eibachs with stock shocks. That might get you a drop of about 3/4 in from stock height.

BTW, there is also a different anti-roll bar specified for a Nivomat-equipped rear suspension. Not in a static state, but this roll bar would also affect handling in a dynamic situation versus what it should be. So did you replace everything specified to be changed for a Nivomat suspension or just the shocks?

Cheers,

Bill

wezo00
10-24-2011, 10:36 PM
I replaced with the kit 9499142. That include 2 self-levelling shocks and 2 coil springs.

I need to keep nivomats (for towing utilities).

billr99
10-25-2011, 08:13 AM
I replaced with the kit 9499142. That include 2 self-levelling shocks and 2 coil springs.

I need to keep nivomats (for towing utilities).

Well that's interesting. You bought a complete kit and you would think that that would have maintained stock ride height. This, of course, is assuming you got the right springs with the kit. I could see a slight increase but 1.5in higher? Obviously something isn't right. Have you talked to Volvo or the dealer to verify all the right bits and bobs?

Cheers,

Bill