PDA

View Full Version : that "WASH-BOARD" feeling..ever get that? help pls!

fabchef
10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Ho everyone. Well we've had our 2005 xc70 for almost 2 weeks now. IT drives very well, smooth, but it's happened about 3 times now, that while driving (it's happened at different speeds) we get a bit of a vibration throughout the car. IT feels like i'm driving over a washboard, so there's rumbling and oscilation going on inside the car(and it's quite loud). if i speed up, it's constant, if i release gas, it's still there. Once the car has slowed down and we keep driving it clears out. IT still does this while turning the steering wheel and no matter what we do it's there until we slow down. anyone ever experience this before?? any ideas?

vengeanceis
10-10-2011, 09:52 PM
ETM? http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17252

symptom #3 "you’ll feel momentary hesitation when driving at highway speeds, almost as if there’s a gust of wind pushing the car back" ?

sjonnie
10-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Sounds like a harmonic vibration, small vibrations in the drive shafts or wheels that occasionally get in phase to produce a larger self-sustanting vibration. I used to get that with an old set of tires that had a lateral run-out that simply couldn't be balanced correctly. New tires solved it. In the meantime, check your drive axles, wheel balancing and alignment.

fabchef
10-11-2011, 03:46 AM
vengeances,,,,not sure it's that, and i also think that for 2005, they already installed an etb...not the etm's that where problematic.

sjonnie, sounds kinda like that. I know the tires on there seem to be okay, but they seem to have an odd wear pattern...they're tiger paws tires. thanks
fabs

n00bkiller944
10-11-2011, 10:24 PM
I had that feeling in a family friend XC90 that I work on for her every now and then out of love. It started very minor and then got really violent after a couple thousand miles... Ended up being the driveshaft.

Post up the solution if you find it I am interested

fabchef
10-13-2011, 08:18 PM
update...well i was just looking around underneith the car i followed the long driveshaft from the front all the way to the back where i think it meets up in a large bearing? anyways at the point i started to see if there was movement. up, down, left and right there was no play, only when i went to twist it there was an ever so slight play, hardly anything..is this normal? also at the rear, i grabbed the (drive shafts??) that go from the rear diff to the tires and there was some movement, but just from pushing the shaft in (toward diff) and out (towards tire)...are they (both sides did this) supposed to have movement?
In the front end...there doesn't seem to be any play in the drive shafts, but i had noticed a bit of oil forming again on this plastic protector just above the cv joint boot..it was there when i bought the car, cleaned it, and now another streak is there...here is a pic:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s43/fabchef/IMG_0690.jpg
thanks
fabs

sjonnie
10-13-2011, 09:07 PM
The movement in the driveshafts you describe is normal. The oil is not, that's probably coming from the inner CV joint but it doesn't look like a lot. Try tightening the sealing band.

goldxc70
10-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Sounds like a harmonic vibration, small vibrations in the drive shafts or wheels that occasionally get in phase to produce a larger self-sustanting vibration. I used to get that with an old set of tires that had a lateral run-out that simply couldn't be balanced correctly. New tires solved it. In the meantime, check your drive axles, wheel balancing and alignment.

Yep. Had the same issue late last year but only noticed it on certain roads. Switched over to winter tires and issue vanished. Returned again after winter until I replaced that set.

Vitruvius
01-05-2012, 11:33 AM
I am getting that shusdder feel on my 2003 XC70 with 80K miles. It happened at about 50 MPH and again at 60 MPH. It happened while turning.
I am checking this forum to see what it could be. Thanks for your notes.