PDA

View Full Version : 01 trans question

savagerunner07
10-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I am looking at a 2001 XC70 that is for sale. The seller said that the trans shifts back and forth between 4th and 5th when on the freeway. I have looked at the forums, but have not found the answer I need. I greatly appreciate the help as this could be a negotiation point. Thank you very much......

atbspinner
10-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Any tranny issue on an '01. would be a big red flag. If they will negotiate about 4k off the price then maybe. Look for a newer model.

savagerunner07
10-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Are any of these trans problems due to the sensors or shift packs?

Astro14
10-09-2011, 07:04 AM
If the trans hunts back and forth between 4th and 5th when driving at 40 - 50 MPH, that's normal, but not on the highway, unless climbing hills. The real issue is now does it shift otherwise? Is it absolutely smooth shifting up & down? Have you driven this thing? I wouldn't buy a car unless I could drive it and verify its operation... to your question "sensors and shift packs"...the trans is awfully complicated...sure, it could be that the problem is simple, but I wouldn't presume that a trans problem is just a question of solenoids or sensors...it could be a major component problem, like bands and clutches...from your description, it's impossible to tell...

Personally, I would pass on this one. A trans rebuild will cost you $3K+.

Why take the chance?