PDA

View Full Version : Found a on/off switch in my fuse box

sinabd
10-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi,
I recently opened up the drivers door fuse box on my 03 xc70 and found a on/off switch that was switched to off. It is connected to two cables and it seems that one cable runs to somewhere behind the dash and the other goes up the windshield pillar (and maybe to the center rear view mirror?). Anyway does anyone know what this switch is for?

Thanks for any help

n00bkiller944
10-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Never seen one before...? Maybe an ejector seat? :)

wyomingbob
10-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Generically, a switch is often provided to safely turn off the current when removing/installing a fuse. Were there any higher-amp fuse slots vacant?

USHGAPB
10-08-2011, 08:13 PM
It is connected to two cables and it seems that one cable runs to somewhere behind the dash............

Years ago, I did that on a cargo van I owned. It interrupted the electrical current to the ignition coil. It was hidden from view under the dash, but I could still reach under and activate it. With Volvo's computer network, I doubt it's even possible any more.

If you're not the original owner, maybe an accessory that was removed?

sinabd
04-24-2012, 02:01 PM
This update is a little late but after owning my Volvo for 9 months now and quite a few repairs later I am 90% sure of what the switch was for. After getting a windshield chip repair I asked the technician what the antenna stuck to my windshield under my mirror is for, and he told me that it was probably used for an older generation remote car starter system.

Incidentally before that i was also told by my mechanic that one of the reasons central electronic module fail is if remote car starters are poorly wired to the computer.

Anyway after replacing both the bcm and cem module my car is running fine. (except for the suspension since the struts need replacing)

XC70XC
04-24-2012, 08:35 PM
Perhaps for an alarm activation.