PDA

View Full Version : help ignition coil and spark plugs

ckyrazorblade666
10-08-2011, 01:49 AM
Can someone help me my 01 v70xc cel is on went to get it check and its the ignition coil has to be replaced and the spark plugs . Cam someone give me the steps to change them ?

ckyrazorblade666
10-08-2011, 05:10 AM
I just found a tutorial that explains the changing of ignition coil and the spark plugs very well so here. WWW.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27232

Astro14
10-08-2011, 05:13 AM
Art posted a guide in the resources section: http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/xc_spark_plug_service.pdf

I would just get the OE plugs from either the dealer or IPD. Coils are available at the dealer for about $70, or from IPD for about $50, I believe FCP Groton has them too, but I don't know their price.

IF you need to get it fixed today, get the parts from the dealer. If you're looking to upgrade the system, the IPD HD coils are about the same price as stock (I haven't used them personally, but they have good reviews on the forum).

Generally, the coils fail one at a time, not all at once...do you have a specific cylinder misfire code? It's likely just one coil that's failed...what code do you have?

To replace a coil takes about 15 minutes. You'll need a couple of torx bits (T25 I think) for the charge air pipe and the spark plug cover screws. A 10mm socket for the coils, and if you want to do the plugs at the same time, you'll need a plug wrench (5/8) socket extension, and I recommend a 3/8 torque wrench to get the 22 lbft of torque right on. I recommend a bit of antisieze on the threads. I would also recommend cleaning the threads with a 14mm tap (make sure you've got the right thread pitch...) if the plugs don't come out smoothly. Dirty threads can cause a false torque reading, leading to a loose plug down the road...

edit: just saw your post, that write-up is good. I am a believer in using a torque wrench for plugs - I've been doing plugs for over 30 years and have a pretty good feel but still like to know it's right on. Torque specs are in Art's write up. Good luck!

gpzTurbo
10-08-2011, 08:43 AM
When mine threw the coil code I replaced the plugs and 5 coils at the same time using oem plugs and aftermarket Chinese coils. It's been fine for 20k miles so far.