PDA

View Full Version : 2012 XC70 Review (US Model)

phlegm
10-03-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi Folks – When I was researching my new vehicle, I couldn’t find much information about the XC70 for the 2012 model year. In fact, when looking at aftermarket parts (trailer hitch), I found that the 2012 wasn’t even listed in most databases.

So, with that in mind, here is my take on the latest XC70 (US model, imported to Canada), now that I’ve had it about a month. Hope someone out there finds it useful.

Note – I make several comparisons to my 2009 S80, since the platforms are shared, and the interiors share many dash and layout components.

--ENGINE--

I’m running the T6, and the engine is sweet. Smooth, little to no turbo lag, and the same fuel consumption rating (per Volvo) as the 3.2, naturally aspirated. The car is heavy, so the 300 horsepower doesn’t move you as much as you’d think, although it is noticeably more able than the 3.2 (~240 hp) in my older S80.

It was selected as one of 2011’s best engines by Ward’s Automotive (http://wardsauto.com/reports/2011/tenbest/winners/volvo_car_turbocharged_101216/), which puts it in some great company, although the rated fuel economy of 16/22 MPG isn’t exactly great. So far, I’m seeing 10.1L/100 km in actual driving in fairly mixed conditions.

--EXTERIOR--

-Looks-
The layout seems identical to the 2011 model, so in that respect older reviews and exterior photos should be a good indicator for 2012. By the way, the frame remains identical, and as such aftermarket hitches that only indicate “2011” should work with the 2012 model. (I added one from Curt Mfg. designed for 2011, and it installed without issue.)

In my case I opted for the rear spoiler and side scuff plates, which I think look nice, but ultimately that’s a matter of personal taste. The default 18-inch “Zephyrus” wheels (with T6 package) are a nice mix of natural mag shine and mat grey, which is nice.

-Tires-
On my vehicle, they’ve fitted Pirelli Scorpion “Verde” tires, which are purported to be green in terms of manufacturing process and (rolling) efficiency. They claim to be quiet, and I must admit they seem quieter than the OEM Continental Pro Contacts installed on my S80. I don’t intend to use them during winter though.

--INTERIOR--

-Sensus & Centre Console-
The biggest change in the interior is the new center console, and the Volvo Sensus system (http://www.automafia.net/media/2011/04/Volvo-V70-2012_interior01.jpg), (see link for photo) first introduced on the S60 last year.

The Sensus amounts to a video screen, but adds a lot of value over the previous rectangular (low-res) display. Some random things I love about it:
-Sirius radio data can be seen on a single screen – no need to scroll, or hit “*” or “#”.
-Easy to read folder navigation for USB drives, streaming Bluetooth, iPod, etc.
-Visual display of park assist zones
-Display of current radio station, even when in Phone mode

...and overall it just makes things easier to adjust and control.

Just below the Sensus (and also in the photo above) is the updated console, which retains the “human icon ventilation area”, but moves the buttons around the exterior of the console’s rectangular shape. I think this works well for the most part, although the new location of buttons takes some getting used to.

I like the fact that the volume and tuning knobs are large, and that they’ve integrated the seat heater buttons into the lower temperature controls (equally large). The size is good for when you’re wearing gloves in the winter – something that some manufacturers seem to forget about with their tiny radio controls.

That said, the fan knob (just left of the human icon ventilation area) is smaller, and likely a bit tough to manipulate with heavy gloves on. Not sure how often I’ll manually select the fan speed though, but that would be one quibble for winter drivers.

-Gauges/Steering Wheel-
The watch dial gauges remain the same as in my 2009 S80, and the inner displays (time, fuel, transmission, etc) retain the same older, clunky digital display. By clunky, I mean lower resolution, with visible blockiness around the edges. I would anticipate that Volvo would tackle these items next in future upgrades.

The only change over my older vehicle is the addition of a scroll wheel in the middle of the right hand side steering wheel controls. This is a wheel/button combo, which is handy for modifying settings on the Sensus screen. (You can also use the centre console knob.) I find myself using the steering wheel controls far more often on the XC70, which is probably a good thing.

-Lighting-
LEDs have changed things, and I’m not sure if that’s for the better or not. I like the addition of this lighting in the interior door handle area (to help guests find the handle upon exit), but I’m not sure if foot well lighting in the front is necessary. My wife says the foot illumination reflects in the side windows while driving at night, but I don’t notice it. I may actually remove the bulb (if possible) or black them out if it continues to bother.

I suspect LEDs are also used above the watch dial gauges (speedo, tach), since the lighting there seems decidedly more “white” than in my S80 with an identical dash. Jury is still out on this – not sure if I like it better or not.

--MISC STUFF--

Here’s a random list of things that I’ve noticed:

-Fog Lights/High Beams-
In the past, front fog lights would turn off temporarily when the high beams are turned on. There’s a logic to this, since if you’re truly in foggy weather, then high beams would be a big mistake. Once you’ve switched back to low beams, the fog lights would come back on.

However, in my 2012 XC70, turning on the high beams switches the fog lights off completely. In other words, once you return to low beams, the fog lights remain off, and you have to manually press the fog light to activate them again.

Why is this a pain?

I live in a rural area, and like how the fog lights light up the area that is low, and to the sides. It helps me to see potential nocturnal animals that are about to run across the road.

However, I also need to put my high beams on during these drives from time to time, and upon going back to low beams, my 2012 shuts off the fog lights. I prefer the 2009 function where the fog lights go back on again, without having to press the button manually.

-AM Radio-
I sometimes listen to AM radio because I like to hear local news and sports. The AM reception in my 2009 just sucks. The reception in my 2012 is great, so bonus points there.

-Dash Information Area-
The addition of the Sensus screen offloads some car information from the gauge area, which makes sense. For example, there was no need to have a DTSC on/off available via the scroll wheel, and displayed within the tachometer area. Makes far more sense for it to be in the My Car area of Sensus.

-Phone Mic-
No proof on this, but looks like the phone mic (located on the head liner above the driver) is now larger. Call recipients seem to hear me better, but hard to confirm this.

-HomeLink-
HomeLink range is far better, so although not specifically related to Volvo (I assume it is licensed technology), it is a welcomed improvement. (These are the buttons located on the driver’s side visor, that control garages and gates, etc.)

-City Safety-
Only mention this because it now comes standard on all Volvos, at least in the US. While I’ll definitely take added protection from a low-speed fender-bender, I’m not a big fan of non-essential electronic stuff that can break, and be expensive to fix. Also, you’ll (hopefully) never know if it’s really working, so that’s a weird feeling in itself.

-Rear Seat Magazine Holders (?)-
Not sure what these are called, but they are pouches on the back of the front seats. In my 2009 S80 they are solid leather. In my 2012 XC70 they are a colour-matched mesh, and to be honest look a bit cheap. I’m guessing that the mesh is presumed to be superior since you can see if anything small is hidden in there, but that’s of limited importance to me.

Hope at least some of this is useful to perspective buyers. Cheers.

phlegm
10-04-2011, 11:12 AM
A few more things I forgot to mention...

-Sunroof (Moonroof) Wind Blocker-
Since 2009, they've added a "frabric" windbreaker to the front of the moonroof. (The older vehicle has a rubber/plastic bit that springs up a bit.) This fabric pops up significantly higher, and really cuts down on wind into the cabin. Good job there, although it is noisier than the older solution.

-Sunroof (Moonroof) Leak-
In my 2009, I'd get tiny little watter droplets if I went through a high pressure wash. Same thing with the 2012 moonroof.

-Fuel Gauge-
In my 2009 S80, I could never seem to get the fuel bar to show 100%, or "1". It always seems to be at least one pixel short of full, regardless of how slowly or much I topped up. Of course, this isn't a problem, just something I noticed. In the 2012, looks like they've recalibrated this, and it properly indicates full.

-Seats-
If you've owned a Volvo before, you likely know that they are among the most comfortable in the business. However, although my 2009 and 2012 seats seem identical, the new seats seem somewhat softer, especially in the lowest cushion on the backrest. Could be me, but I don't find it nearly as comfortable as my older car. Not sure if it's me, or the seat.

XCovlov70
10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
One thing, sorry make that, Two things I have noticed on our D5 XC70 2011 Model:

1) When travelling along on a warm day with either the rear passenger or front windows fully or partly open I get a very distinct 'Drumming' sound coming into the car. :confused::confused:

From memory it is around 40Mph + that it starts and doesn't really go away until you close the windows!

2) After some heavy rain when I open either front or rear doors there is usually a build up of rainwater residing in the channel of the rubber surround at the top of the door which does not run off via the channel in the rubber but comes out and drops onto either the front seat and switches for the seat adjustment or the rear seats! :mad: [cussing]

hyperdawg
10-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Hi. Absolutely great info. I am close to purchasing a 2012 Volvo XC70 in Canada (Calgary) and purchasing the T6 - Platinum model which comes with the NAV, Upgraded Stereo system and Rear View Camera.

I am curious on the following:

1. The Addition of the BLIS - Never had it so not sure if I would miss it. Does yours have it and if you do, what do you think?

2. The upgraded Stereo System. Your thoughts? I took one home for the day and thought it was ok but I have heard better in other vehicles. Mind you I was simply listening to FM only.

Thanks

phlegm
10-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Hi. Absolutely great info. I am close to purchasing a 2012 Volvo XC70 in Canada (Calgary) and purchasing the T6 - Platinum model which comes with the NAV, Upgraded Stereo system and Rear View Camera.

I am curious on the following:

1. The Addition of the BLIS - Never had it so not sure if I would miss it. Does yours have it and if you do, what do you think?

2. The upgraded Stereo System. Your thoughts? I took one home for the day and thought it was ok but I have heard better in other vehicles. Mind you I was simply listening to FM only.

Thanks

Thanks hyperdawg. First off, before you buy, you should consider importing the vehicle from the US. I saved close to $10,500 on mine - and that's after including my flight down to Pennsylvania, and a 6.1% duty (for non-NAFTA vehicles).

As reference, here is my invoice:
2012 XC70 T6
Premier Plus
Climate Pkg
BLIS
Rear Spoiler
Side Scuff Plates
Rubber mats
Cargo Area mats

....bottom line of invoice, including all fees, PDI, etc was:

$42,500 (US)

So, add 6.1% duty to that, and that's what your local Canadian dealer should match, but they won't even be able to come close.

No USstate tax was paid (listed as N/A on my invoice), but you will pay the GST at the border, and PST when you register the car locally. (Tax is lower though, since it is on a smaller sales price!)

Re your specific questions:
-BLIS: It's on my vehicle, but I could easily live without it. The XC70 actually has pretty good visibility with all the glass, so it probably needs BLIS the least of all their vechicles. If it wasn't on my car already, I wouldn't have requested it for sure.

-Upgraded Stereo: I have the default stereo on mine, and its plenty. I think you basically get a couple of extra speakers, and subwoofers with the premium package. Your call, but I absolutely wouldn't need it.

cory_can
10-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Do the 2012 T6's come without ventilated seats? It does't seem to be mentioned on the site.

If so, a big thumbs down.....it's a feature I LOVE in my 2011 T6.

phlegm
10-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Do the 2012 T6's come without ventilated seats? It does't seem to be mentioned on the site.

If so, a big thumbs down.....it's a feature I LOVE in my 2011 T6.

I don't see it as part of the packages (Premium Plus or Platinum), and I don't see it listed as a separate option for 2012.