PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump saga

boggy
09-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Hello all,

I need some help please. I replaced the fuel pump last year, had a bad luck with fuel leak because the tank it was not well put back in. Now the car has trouble starting so I need to put the ignition on few times without cranking the engine and it will start after i do that. I am sure this trick will tell some of the folks here what is wrong....and maybe suggest me what should I do please.

Thank you.
Boggy

JRL
09-30-2011, 02:44 PM
It would sure help to know what YEAR (and mileage) XC you have!
Different pump for different years and if it's a 2000 there's another fix
Explain hard starting better... be precise

boggy
10-02-2011, 06:55 PM
oops, sorry for the lack of details. It's a 1999 xc70 cross country. 170 k miles
thank you.
boggy

JRL
10-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Well it's usually a 2000 issue, but you may need a check valve
Again what's your MILEAGE?

Try a new fuel pump relay and check it's connection

Xilikon
10-03-2011, 06:10 AM
boggy, did you replace it with a OEM or aftermarket pump ? Full pump assembly or only the pump motor ?

I had similar issues with mine until I replaced with a whole new OEM pump assembly. The previous owner did get the car repairer for a failed pump at a indy and the mechanic ordered a scan-tech pump, which turned up to be crap.

boggy
10-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Thank you all for the answers.
car has 170k mikes on.

Here is the pump I purchased, aftermarket:
http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/22187/nm/Volvo_V70_AWD_Fuel_Pump_Assembly_1998_2000_Scan_Te ch_

Now the tank is full and the gas sensor is off. I was told ny the mechanic that this is it, I have to keep track of the miles I run with the car to make sure I am ok...

Xilikon
10-03-2011, 08:21 AM
Thank you all for the answers.
car has 170k mikes on.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exec/product_id/22187/nm/Volvo_V70_AWD_Fuel_Pump_Assembly_1998_2000_Scan_Te ch_

Now the tank is full and the gas sensor is off. I was told ny the mechanic that this is it, I have to keep track of the miles I run with the car to make sure I am ok...

I stopped at Scan-tech in the link so that's your problem ! You should have tossed 100$ more and get the OEM.

Beside this, to have the sensor feeding the correct level, the pump must be installed in the correct orientation and alignment. If it's installed any other way, the sensor float won't be operating properly, which lead to a bad installation issue (you mentionned the gas tank was not well put).

JRL
10-03-2011, 12:10 PM

Manufacturer Scan Tech :(
FCP Reference Number 9470674

You guys never learn...
NEVER BUY ANYTHING MADE BY SCANTECH
My guess is you have a bad pump

deltajets
10-04-2011, 04:50 AM
A good rule of thumb that I follow is that if its an easy job,take a chance on aftermarket.If its a tough job like a fuel pump,buy stock(factory)parts.It sounds like you have a bad check valve,I'm not sure if its part of the pump assy or not.Best to put a press gauge on the fuel rail and check your press at start up.