PDA

View Full Version : 01 XC70 interior fan

SA2360
09-30-2011, 06:07 AM
[cussing] Started a couple days ago.....fan kicks on full blast as soon as you open door to enter car. This will occur no matter when....been sitting in cool garage all night or out in heat, etc. Furthermore none of the controls will allow you to turn off fan or slow it down from full blast even when you start the vehicle. You can still change hot to cold and switch settings for vent locations where the air blows. This is not the evaporator fan kicking in.....this is simply triggered by opening the door, and continues to blow at full speed when car is operational or turned off. Eventually after you exit car it turns off at some point. Is this one of those dreaded Gremlins????? Hmmmm!?!?!?!?!:confused:

Any advice appreciated!

SA2360
10-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Well....my electrical gremlins continue. Now my drivers side low beam headlamp is out but lamp is ok and fuses are all good. Must be something in the wiring harness.

As for the blower fan issue, I've pulled the fuse to stop the fan from blowing. Headed out to give it another check. With no feed backs this may be something unusual that others have not experienced.

Will post my findings (if any!) to share.

billr99
10-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Well....my electrical gremlins continue. Now my drivers side low beam headlamp is out but lamp is ok and fuses are all good. Must be something in the wiring harness.

As for the blower fan issue, I've pulled the fuse to stop the fan from blowing. Headed out to give it another check. With no feed backs this may be something unusual that others have not experienced.

Will post my findings (if any!) to share.

First of all have you checked all the fuses for the headlights? Verify that you have checked those in both the underhood block and in the passenger compartment block. Also check your headlight connector as they are known to breakdown physically and short out.

Good luck,

Bill

SA2360
10-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks Bill....checked all fuses and all ok. Checked lamp by pulling and plugging into opposite side...worked fine. I believe you're on the money regarding connector. Will look at replacing.

The fan.....well it continues to blow. Hmmmm!

Willy
10-03-2011, 08:24 AM
The fans, interior or radiator (engine), are controlled by a built in electronic module.
This module is made up from a darlington transister circuit. Often the power transistor
fails and if it fails into a short circuit, the fan will always run and will do so at full speed.
The module is not a seperate item, you need to replace the whole fan assembly.
The interior fan assembly is located behind the glove compartment.

SA2360
10-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks Willy....any way to test module failure/short without pulling fan (ie. DME scan?)

XCFundi
10-03-2011, 11:09 PM
I am having similar fan issues and when ever I make a left turn or the g-force is pulling right I get a fan squeaking sound from around the glove box.

How much to replace it?

Willy
10-05-2011, 01:46 AM
As far as I know, it is not possible to diagnose the fan using an OBD tool (but I don't know if it is possible using Volvo equipment).
Perhaps the fan module can be tested without removing the fan. In the pdf, item 6/28 is the fan, 4/31 is the module
and 3/112 is the Climate Control Module. Disconnect the fan module connector and apply power to A2 en ground to A4.
If the module is ok, the fan shouldn't run (by lack of command from the CCM)
Willy

Willy
10-05-2011, 08:57 AM
I just thought of another possible test. I think that if the CCM module is disconnected, the fan shouldn't run either.
Willy

SA2360
10-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Well, finally took it in to the shop. They pulled it and advised that they may be able to rebuild the module and possibly have to reprogram it. Just got the call...can not rebuild. I was also advised that even if I found an Electronic climate Control Unit from a salvage vehicle it would not function in mine do to programming issues. Is that a true statement?

Also, now that I'm facing to sell one of my kids (wait....I believe I would have to pay someone to take them :p ) to be able to afford a new ECC unit....any suggestions if there is such a thing as an affordable vendor for these units. Thanks for your time and feedback.