PDA

View Full Version : brake bleed help

xrsurfguy
09-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Is there any post that have pitures of someone doing a brake bleed. I need one bad and have never done one before. Thanks

Ocean Racer
09-20-2011, 05:40 PM
You need 2 people first

Astro14
09-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Or an easy bleed ($60 from IPD...and your significant other will thank you for not having to pump the brakes)...but why do you "need one bad"...what is going on?

If you've never bled brakes before, then I wonder if you're accurately determining the need for a bleed...

Willy
09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
The brake system is one of (if not the most) critical part of a car. If you have never done a brake
fluid bleed before, it may be prudent to consider finding assistance of a more experienced person.

xrsurfguy
09-28-2011, 06:19 PM
I need a bleed due to my fluid turning black

sjonnie
09-28-2011, 07:06 PM
You need 2 people first

Or, get a brake bleed kit which consists of a piece of tubing to fit over the end of the bleed nipple and a container into which the hose fits. You take the cap off the master reservoir and fill it full. Open the brake bleed nipple and go sit in the drivers seat. Push the brake pedal to the floor. Go take a look at the bleed container, see how much is in there, usually about 20mL. Go back and push the brake pedal to the floor another 3 times. Container now has 80mL in it. Close bleed nipple and move to next wheel. You can also just open the nipple and a can of beer at the same time and watch it drip while you drink your beer [thumbup]

sjonnie
09-28-2011, 07:11 PM
I need a bleed due to my fluid turning black

That's not good! You should consider taking it in to get the brake system looked over, brake fluid doesn't go black unless something is contaminating it. Also be aware that Volvo recommends some crazy DOT 4+ fluid which you probably have to request specially from your local NAPA store.

granlund
09-29-2011, 05:05 AM
... Push the brake pedal to the floor...

Don't press the pedal all the way to the floor. You can damage the o-rings in the master cylinder necessitating an expensive repair.

A much better and easier option is a Motive Powerbleeder: http://store.motiveproducts.com/european-bleeder--0100-p34.aspx

billr99
09-29-2011, 06:14 AM
Don't press the pedal all the way to the floor. You can damage the o-rings in the master cylinder necessitating an expensive repair.

A much better and easier option is a Motive Powerbleeder: http://store.motiveproducts.com/european-bleeder--0100-p34.aspx

Agreed and way easier to do the job if you have to do it solo.

Cheers,

Bill