PDA

View Full Version : Great another issue ABS/Tracs this time

Lokimer
09-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Soooooo after rebuilding the tranny, and fixing my MAF sensor issue, my ABS, TRACS and CEL light up tonight. After reading up on it on here it seems like this is how it starts when the module goes bad so I'll be ordering one from that midwest dude (name escapes me now).

However my question is, and the reason for this post, is there any reason to not drive on it if it's going bad? I won't have the 80-100 bucks for one right now but I don't want this to do more damage that I have to repair.

Plus while I got you people here in rapt attention, is it an easy unplug and unbolt job? I skimmed the walk through posted on another thread and thats what it seemed like.

Thanks in advance boys and girls.

JRL
09-19-2011, 04:41 AM
You can drive it forever this way, just no working ABS when the light is lit

BEJinFBK
09-19-2011, 12:23 PM
You might take a shot at reseating the main connector first.
Those things are kinda tricky and it was probably unplugged
during the tranny rebuild. Be sure it's locked down properly.

Lokimer
09-19-2011, 02:12 PM
You might take a shot at reseating the main connector first.
Those things are kinda tricky and it was probably unplugged
during the tranny rebuild. Be sure it's locked down properly.

Sweet thank you sir, I'll take a look. Would that possibly trigger the service light to be on at start up?

And thanks for the quick answer JRL.

BEJinFBK
09-19-2011, 07:52 PM
SERVICE or CHECK ENGINE ? And what year are you driving?
Service is just an odo triggered light for oil changes and such.
I'll assume for now that you mean a CEL.

On a '98, there should be no ABS triggered CEL.
On the newer cars, I believe it can happen since
there's so much more network connectivity in '99-'00's.
( One of the reasons I went '98! )

If I'm right, clearing up your ABS problem should fix it.

Lokimer
09-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Driving a '98. And yup Service light has been coming on since my tranny rebuild about 3 months ago also had the oil change then too, with about 1k miles to go till I need to change it again (probably do it in the next couple weeks). CEL popped on when the ABS and TRACS lights came on.

I'm crawling under the hood tomorrow and will check the connectors.

Oh and the ABS and TRACS lights didn't come on last night however the CEL was still on if that changes anything.

JRL
09-20-2011, 02:47 PM
It would be wise to pull the code

BEJinFBK
09-21-2011, 08:01 AM
The service light for a '98 requires a dealer reset via the OBD ll port.
Again - it's just a "timed" light that triggers about every 3K.
There are also some tools out there that will allow you to reset it.
I picked one up from Draper in the UK for about 60 bucks.

http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3248&stc=1&d=1316617339

bronson75
10-13-2011, 07:52 AM
I just replaced the module on my '99, got mine from Matt (midwest-abs). It really is a straight-forward install, took me maybe half an hour. Hardest part is aligning the ratchet and lining up the rear-most bolts during installation (as they point downwards), but even that wasn't tough.
Got my ABS and traction control back, and no more blasted dash lights (besides the usual CEL).
Good luck.
[thumbup]

deltajets
10-13-2011, 10:03 AM
BBA remanufacturing in taunton MA is good also.I bought one from them 3 years ago still good. they will repair yours or exchange an already repaired unit with you.not sure about a warranty