PDA

View Full Version : 3.2 Transmission Fluid

Charles Stuart
09-17-2011, 09:51 PM
I looked forever today for the dipstick or a plug to check the transmission fluid on my XC90. It is shifting hard into 2nd and I want to first check the level before I take it into the dealer. I have about 82000 miles on it. I could not find anything. If you know how to or where it is, I would appreciate it. I would actually like to drain and flush or is that not a good idea?

Any help would be a blessing. My wife is in Iraq and time is very limited with me being active duty as well and taking care of all of the kids. So, if I can get a good response and maybe some pics, it would be very appreciated.

Stu

Volvos rock
09-18-2011, 02:28 AM
There is no dipstick. To check the fluid there is a T45 on the center bottom of the trans. With car at operating temp, pull it, if the fluid drips slowly, the level is good, if nothing comes out = underfilled, if it runs out = overfilled. You will need a crush washer. The fill is on the top center, also a large torx. I belive you need an oring for this.

cattlecar
09-18-2011, 07:19 PM
The fluid it takes is JWS 3309, AKA Toyota T-IV, AKA volvo 1161540.
The fill is a TX 55 that is on the left front corner of the top of gearbox.
Normal operating temp of engine but car not driven for level check with the overflow type checking. The concept is the same as for a rear end or a manual trans, filled up to a level where it runs out. The difference is the engine must be running to keep torque converter filled and Volvo specs the check be done when fluid is between 122 F and 140F. That temp range is pretty stable with a warmed up engine but not driven. If you drive it the fluid will be 50 or more degrees hotter and it will spill out when the plugs is removed.
The TX 40 or TX 45 (I thought the last one I did a drain n fill was a TX40) is inside a 17mm hex. just so you know you've found it. The 17mm is for removing the fill level tube/drain plug and the fill check is hidden a bit in the plug.

Charles Stuart
09-18-2011, 07:43 PM
I wish you could provide pics of the location of the drain. If u cant on this site, you can send to my personal mail at [email protected]. I think I found the top one... Thanks,Stu