PDA

View Full Version : Car Fax check if you can?

XCFundi
09-14-2011, 11:03 PM
YV1SZ58D211011932

I bought it already and I thought it had a Car Fax check and now I realize it is Auto Check and the there seems to be some concern that Auto Check is not as good as Car Fax and I was hoping to atleast have both and be able to see repairs and locations it was owned to be wary of future work. If you can run the Car Fax I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

JRL
09-15-2011, 04:43 AM
A/C is just as good, it just does not show servicing
There are no more "free" Carfaxes, that went the way of the Dodo bird.
You will have to spend your own $29.95 or whatever it costs these days

cattlecar
09-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Not to disparage Carfax but the contribution to this service is still spotty.
If someone wrecks the car and chooses to pay out of pocket with no insurance claim because they hit the tree in their yard after an evening of celebration then no Carfax mention.
If the shop doing service work does not use certain shop management and service write up software systems then there is no feed of service work to Carfax. A fastidious owner that services the car far beyond manufacturer's does not show up on Carfax.
I guess what I'm saying is that a Carfax showing accidents and repossession is certainly proof. A clean Carfax is not necessarily proof the car was not wadded up pretty good nor is a blank Carfax necessarily an indicator of a poorly maintained car.
The best, but not bulletproof, way to check car condition is an inspection by a competent mechanic with lots of experience with that car line.

I'd put the $29.95 towards a good evaluation by a good mechanic to tell you where that car stands.

XCFundi
09-15-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks. Did the mechanic thing $150. Just thought it would be nice to know what has and has not been worked on.