PDA

View Full Version : 2005 harsh 2-3 upshift

JonInMassachusetts
09-14-2011, 11:52 AM
I have an 05 with 93000 miles on it. Had it since March. Put about 6000 miles on it so far. When I first got it I did the Volvo/Gibbons flush and fill and used genuine Mobil 3309. I just changed the oil on it and did a trans drain and fill (not a full flush) and also installed a Magnefine filter.

From a performance standpoint, nothing has changed since day one. It performs fine. But the 2-3 upshift is noticeably more harsh than any other. It's not at all alarming, but I was wondering if anyone has had a B4 servo go bad on a later model, other than a 2001-2002.

JRL
09-14-2011, 12:06 PM
B4 servo would not cause a hard upshift
You can always replace it, it's cheap enough

JonInMassachusetts
09-14-2011, 12:17 PM
Any ideas then?

Or is 2-3 normally a little more harsh than the rest?

Seamus
09-14-2011, 12:24 PM
I'd check the top and bottom torque mounts. The bottom one can be deceptive though. On my s60, it was always tight when I looked at it. But when I too it off, it was totally shot (the small bushing) I notice it's much smoother with a new one

Q-ship
09-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Is it just while cold? And goes away when warms up?
If so it's just the trans mapping. It will smooth out 2-3 shifts once warmed up.
It runs different shift mapping while cold.

Else I agree with Seamus'..... engine mounts

JonInMassachusetts
09-14-2011, 12:41 PM
No difference cold/warm.

I'll have to check out the mounts.

JRL
09-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Many of you fail to do the obvious

You flush your transmissions but fail to install the latest and any available software, RESET THE ADAPTIONS
then do a new drive cycle

Flushing does nothing except give you clean fluid.
Unless you do the other two, nothing changes!

stupidloose
09-14-2011, 04:41 PM
JRL, This is the first time I have heard of this. I am still somewhat new to this forum and my XC. I was looking at flushing my tranny this weekend with the "Gibbons" method. Can you please elaberate on this update and procedures or point me in the right direction. I agreatly appreciate it.

JRL
09-14-2011, 04:46 PM
Please read some transmission threads, it's well documented
If you can't find anything in 36 hours get back to me, my fingers are tired right now

Astro14
09-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Read through the Valve Body replacement notes in the resources section. I described it in detail there...and you save Jim's fingers...

A harsh upshift in one gear change in particular is unlikely to be mounts...failed mounts would cause all of the upshifts to be rough...

Cheers,
Astro

Q-ship
09-15-2011, 06:24 AM
A harsh upshift in one gear change in particular is unlikely to be mounts...failed mounts would cause all of the upshifts to be rough...

Cheers,
Astro

Usually, yes. But if the trans is running in "warm up mode" it may be most noticable on 2-3 shifts, which are hard (er) than any other, if you have worn mounts.

Agree with you, with one caveat