PDA

View Full Version : possibly be getting 2005 xc70...how to know bevel gear is ok?

fabchef
09-14-2011, 12:43 AM
Hi everyone, fabs here. We just test-drove a 2005 xc70 (with 161 000km)yesterday. The car drove very well. It was super smooth, no grinding/whinning noises. The tranny shifted very well and pulled hard. We will be getting it inspected in 2 days. I wanted to know, how can you tell that the bevel/angle gear is not working or on it's way out? i was told that a little bit of fluid weeping out is normal...true? The only thing i notice that kinda worried me was that i noticed the car had some sort of braking system (black, square box located just under the bottom of the steering wheel base) that is used when towing. There was no trailer hitch on it, but i guess it did...any reason to worry? the car thanks
fabs

sjonnie
09-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Electronic brake actuator? That's unusual with Class II tow, normally they have gravity actuated brakes, Class III and above have electric brakes. I would worry if anybody towing Class II and above didn't have an accessory transmission cooler.

wyomingbob
09-16-2011, 11:56 AM
Hi everyone, fabs here. We just test-drove a 2005 xc70 (with 161 000km)yesterday.... i was told that a little bit of fluid weeping out is normal...true?

Howdy. I just bought an '05 XC70 with similar mileage (107000 miles) last week. It has the same 'weeping.' Dealer and indie shop both want $750US to repair that (5 hrs labor). [mad2]

Other issues on the vehicle: PCV probably clogged, inner tie rod needs replacing, and the tranny fluid is brown. I'm getting the timing belt, water pump, serpentine and brakes replaced as well. Probably a total of $2500 in maintenance issues, but paid only $10000 for the car. [happy]