PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake system broken

Volky_one
09-13-2011, 05:59 PM
My 2002 XC70 have had some shifting issue in the past, last week drove it and heard a grinding noise in the rear end, turned back and parked it in my shade, I checked the brake and they looked ok, checked drive shafts and they all looked ok, one thing flashed in my mind, whenever I tried to use parking brake it seemed like there is none, I took out right rear wheel and changed the brake disk, moved to the left side, took off the wheel, first thing I saw, pieces of metals, further removed the brake disk and found everything related to the parking brake shoe are toast, I mean all ground to pieces! I have not taken pictures yet, but now all the hardwares are toast, brake shoes cannot even be recognised, the expander is gone, the dust shield is gone bad, and more worse there is a big I think it is aruminum part, the hub is attached to that big part, it is still there but there is one square end that the shoe stop at, that sqare is brocken and ground to dust, absolutely the whole part need replacement. Tomorrow I'll take picture and post it. will someone tell me the name of that part? could the whole mess be what was slowing down my car on lower gears before I found out that the brake is broken? all the time there was no park brake light unless I pulled the lever.

This is a replacement I found on Ebay, what do ya think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SPINDLE-KNUCKLE-REAR-LEFT-VOLVO-XC70-S60-S80-V70-AWD-04-/290605765187?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AVolvo%7CModel%3AXC70&hash=item43a9741243

granlund
09-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Same exact thing happened to me a year ago. Brake shoes delaminated inside the drum and broke pretty much everything, including the tab that hold the shoe ends in place.

Still have not been able to figure out how to fix that part without buying a new hub.

billr99
09-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Yep, pretty normal and routine situation, especially if you are using OEM brake shoes. I finally changed mine out for aftermarket ones and have had no problems since.

Cheers,

Bill

sjonnie
09-13-2011, 09:50 PM
and more worse there is a big I think it is aruminum part, the hub is attached to that big part, it is still there but there is one square end that the shoe stop at, that sqare is brocken and ground to dust

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2001/parkingbrake.jpg

You mean the part I colored in blue? Gone? Wow! :eek: If so you will need a new bearing knuckle, ebay might be your best best, dealer price is $400+. Good luck! Good reason to maintain your parking brake shoes.

Volky_one
09-14-2011, 03:35 AM
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2001/parkingbrake.jpg

You mean the part I colored in blue? Gone? Wow! :eek: If so you will need a new bearing knuckle, ebay might be your best best, dealer price is $400+. Good luck! Good reason to maintain your parking brake shoes.

Yep, you got it right, it's the blue one that's gone too, beside everything else aound it. I located one on Ebay on the link in my previous post.

billr99
09-14-2011, 04:45 AM

Oh yeah, that's a real ugly situation. You didn't hear anything odd while all this destruction was going on?

Good luck,

Bill

Astro14
09-14-2011, 05:45 AM
I am certain there was noise...you can't do all that damage without noise...and noise for a long time...

A point of clarification. When the OP says, "all the time there was no park brake light unless I pulled the lever." there is an implication that the parking brake light comes on with a problem...

Nope, as far as I know, the parking brake light only comes on when the lever is pulled...it is illuminated by a switch in the console. So, no parking brake light simply means the lever (handle) is down...absence of the brake light doesn't mean that the brake is OK, or released inside the hub...

Volky_one
09-14-2011, 03:30 PM
I am certain there was noise...you can't do all that damage without noise...and noise for a long time...

A point of clarification. When the OP says, "all the time there was no park brake light unless I pulled the lever." there is an implication that the parking brake light comes on with a problem...

Nope, as far as I know, the parking brake light only comes on when the lever is pulled...it is illuminated by a switch in the console. So, no parking brake light simply means the lever (handle) is down...absence of the brake light doesn't mean that the brake is OK, or released inside the hub...

Yes, No noise, no noise untill I heard it and I realised something was wrong that's why I turned back and parked the car. was still within my block probably 400 feet from my driveway, that's about 800 feet of grinding the shoes at about 25 miles per hour, around between 800 and 1000 RPM. doesn't have to be driven far to make that much damage on a turning wheels.

Astro14
09-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Wow...a minute of noise...and it's toast?

Catastrophic failure that cascaded through the rest of the parking brake components...

granlund
09-15-2011, 04:31 AM
The problem as I see it is that the parking brake mechanism is something that is mostly overlooked by even by seasoned DIYs. It just lives there by itself inside the drum.

Eventually over the years, the mechanism gets gunked up and starts sticking and does not release the shoes. The final point is when the shoes drag on the inside of the drum and the brake liner delaminates from the backing shoe by heat and instantaneously jam everything up. If there is enough brake liner material, it will rip the backing shoes themselves from the mechanism and destroy everything inside the drum.

This happened to me at 60mph and it also generated so much heat that the wheel bearing had to be replaced.

sjonnie
09-15-2011, 07:50 PM
My parking brake liner was delaminated for a while before I replaced the shoes, I could tell because I'd get a thunk as I drove off. When I took the old shoes out the liner was just sitting there loose on top of the shoes, I'd been using it like that for ages. Wasn't any 'gunk' in there, just the old shoes had separated. Probably worth replacing the parking brake shoes with the rear brake pads.