PDA

View Full Version : Driver's side headlight bulb replacement

sayling
09-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Trying to change driver's side headlight bulb on 2006 XC70 and challenged to how to access... hands are too big to maneuver past air cleaner box to get to headlight bulb. Any easy way to disconnect air cleaner box to slide it over for better access? Any suggestions appreciated!!

gmark340
01-19-2012, 02:36 PM
That's sad that no one has a suggestion for this question! I have the same question but for a 2007. How much of the car has to be taken apart just to change a lightbulb?

Astro14
01-19-2012, 03:33 PM
At the risk of being misunderstood...what does your owner's manual say? Mine has a good picture and instructions...I would start with that as there might be variances from year to year...

I've done mine a couple of time (including both cars...) and it's a tight fit...

sayling
01-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Figured out how to get to the bulb - air cleaner box base assembly is attached on 3 (I think - writing from memory) "snap-fit" connectors. I grabbed the sides of the box and gave it a quick firm upward pull to pop it off the connectors. Took a couple tries with increasing force, but it did finally just pop off. Firm downward push afterwards and it popped back on to the connectors.......

Astro14
01-19-2012, 03:39 PM
I would take a small (10MM) socket and compress the fingers of those connectors one at a time, the box will come off much easier...but I didn't need to do it to change the bulb on mine...tight fit, yes, but I was able to get it done...

JCruze
01-20-2012, 06:38 AM
I also have big hands and get this job done by only removing the air filter cover. It seems to provide just enough room to get your hand in. The problem with removing the the entire air box is that although it might come out with only a quick pull, it never wants to go back in. Better not to remove that if you can help it. By removing just the cover, you can push the air box rearward on its rubber mounts enough to get your hand in. The secondary benefit to this is that you can inspect the air filter and vacuum out the crud in the airbox.