PDA

View Full Version : Rough starts and throttle body error code

rustyscrewdriver
09-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Hi all,

I have had rough starts on my 02 V70XC (85K) for about a year now, and every so often, I get a "reduced engine performance" message when it has taken a few too many cranks to get started. This message disappears after a quarter mile or so.

Last week I received a CEL and the message "Engine System Service Required". I checked the OBD II code - P2112 - which suggests the throttle body needs maintenance.

I am wondering if these two issues are related? Separate? Why the rough starts? The car will always turn over, but sometimes it can take a few cranks.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! :)

2002xcgold
09-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I get the same issue on occasion as well

I turn it over with the throttle half open and it seems to clear it out - often accompanied by a smell of gas .

JRL
09-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Clean the throttle body (PROPERLY) and go from there

Astro14
09-18-2011, 09:03 PM
I get the same issue on occasion as well

I turn it over with the throttle half open and it seems to clear it out - often accompanied by a smell of gas .

How do you know the throttle is half open? Pedal is halfway depressed...that you control...but I am not certain where the ECU places the throttle plate as a result...

rustyscrewdriver
09-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys for the responses. I will clean the throttle body (properly) this weekend and post the results.

rustyscrewdriver
09-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for the good advice [thumbup]. I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it properly. It was pretty gunky, took 2 rags to fully clean it! I deleted the error code, and 100 miles later, it has not come back. Acceleration is WAY smoother, and car is even shifting nicer. Had a rough start this morning, so that is still an issue... I'd love to solve that problem :confused:

GS340
01-28-2012, 07:44 AM
The TB on a 2001 is located under the intake manifold next to the alternator, yellow sticker? correct? Is there posted procedure to remove and clean???

Willy
01-28-2012, 09:16 AM
Yes, of course, thanks to Art [happy]
http://www.volvoxc.com/resources/how-to/pdf/xc_throttle_body_replacement_procedure.pdf
A lot of procedures can be found in the Resources section (how-to guides)
Willy

howardc64
01-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi All,
Thanks for the good advice [thumbup]. I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it properly. It was pretty gunky, took 2 rags to fully clean it! I deleted the error code, and 100 miles later, it has not come back. Acceleration is WAY smoother, and car is even shifting nicer. Had a rough start this morning, so that is still an issue... I'd love to solve that problem :confused:

Thats great. These throttle bodies are pretty gunked up by 100k miles.

On your rough start, can you provide a bit more detail? Does it crank and won't start for awhile? Does it start but idle rough?

The TB on a 2001 is located under the intake manifold next to the alternator, yellow sticker? correct? Is there posted procedure to remove and clean???

Correct. Yellow sticker is the replaced throttle body. White sticker is the original throttle body.

Volvo directions on this don't have much detail. You need to take the fan off to gain access. 2 hardest part of the job are

1. threading the 4 bolts back onto the ETM with the gasket in place. I think I used tape to hold the gasket in place while I started the thread on 2 bolts. Then I removed the tape.

2. Reattaching the air pipe to ETM. Grease the fittings and try to make sure the fitting is evenly over the ETM throttle opening when you muscle it back on to avoid bending the plastic lips on the pipe fitting.

Both of these reassembly steps are done under the manifold so you are blind and upside down which makes it much harder.

Here is the directions I made when I did this a few years ago

http://www.box.com/shared/cjh7pkl0cs

My direction says cleaning won't help. I've since learned that it does help (and did on my 01 V70XC with 115k miles just like OP's cleaning results). When I wrote this direction, I was battling 01's original ETM hardware+software problems and cleaning didn't help the old software+hardware combo in my case.

Jules
01-30-2012, 09:52 PM
While you're in there cleaning things up, get a can of Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaner, find the instructions in the resources section, and give the MAF sensor a liberal dose of cleaner, following the instruction in the resource post. If your TB was gunked up, chances are your MAF sensor is dirty too. Cheers.
Jules