PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof shattered !

cdennedy
09-13-2011, 12:14 AM
1998 Volvo XC70

Seems like a simple problem but it gets complicated !
Sunroof is not operational so I cant tilt to remove the glass which seems like a simple job!
Can the roof be manually tilted.
The roof is not operational due to I believe a problem with the Alarm system but I am trying to avoid buying a new Key Fob to reset the Alarm.
I believe it can be done probably with the key, but since the Driver door actuator is also busted, this becomes a real problem.

This car was not the smartest buy I know but just wanted a wagon to transport the dog.

Finally what models of Volvo(sunroof glass) are compatible with this one so I have other option at local salvage yards

Any help would be greatly aprreciated

JRL
09-13-2011, 06:45 AM
I won't comment as I'm assuming not much was working when you bought it.:confused:

All 98-00 S or V70 glass is interchangable.
Not sure about 850s but I would guess the glass is also the same.

8pack
09-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Did you check this? From your Owners manual...

NOTE:

The electrically-operated sun roof has an overload protecting circuit breaker (fuse no. 37) which is activated when an object blocks the sun roof. Should this occur, remove the object and wait 20 seconds for the circuit breaker to reset. The sun roof should then function normally. Also check fuse no. 35.

https://www.customers.volvocars.com/owners/docs/1998/1998_SV70/98sv70_016.htm#pg16

cattlecar
09-13-2011, 08:46 AM
the alarm has no bearing on sunroof on the -->2000 xc70/v70/s70, that is only a problem for 2001 and later volvos with networked electrical system when battery is removed and the car defaults to transport mode.

The cover over motor that doubles as your front interior lamp assy. can be removed and you can use a screw driver to manually move sunroof when inserted into the white plastic screw you will see in the aluminum gear case on the motor. You have to push into the screw to depress a button that disengages the sunroof drive from the motor in order to be able to turn the screw to move the sunroof. When you have removed the "scissors" covers over the screws holding glass in and have installed the new glass and the screws, you will have to close the sunroof to set the height of the glass prior to securing the screws. Then return the panel to vent position to put the covers back on. Then return to panel to closed position. You can feel the closed position by the effort dropping and then if you go past that spot it will get hard to turn again and you will see the panel begin to drop at rear.

cdennedy
09-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Thank you for responses.

Fuse 35 and 37 are Good

Good to hear that the 98 Sunroof is not impacted by Alarm System

I removed the cover to expose the Motor and gear-case however I don't see any white screw.

Must I remove the cover of the gear case, it seems to be riveted Assembly.

Thank you for the interchange option for the glass

cdennedy
09-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Problem resolved

It always the simple things !!

The prior owner appears to have disconnected the Sunroof Switch.:mad:

Reconnected............now I can tilt roof

Now is time to find the glass replacement