PDA

View Full Version : Rostra Valve Body Components

01V70XC5A
08-26-2011, 03:45 PM
After about 3k miles the hard 2-3 3-2 shift has returned. I replaced the B4 cover and had an adaption and drain and fill performed. It was good for a while but now the issue has recurred.

I'm thinking about rebuilding the valve body and I've seen some components from Rostra that claim to be modified to resist the failure mode of the stock components. Has anyone used these parts or heard of someone who has had good luck with them?

Thanks,

Astro14
08-26-2011, 07:55 PM
you're not going to like the results. Sure, you can replace the solenoids, but that's not really a rebuild of the body...and the issue is wear in the body itself. You really want the Sonnax kits to ream out and re-sleeve the bore...but that kit costs as much as having the body rebuilt by a professional...like these guys: http://www.valvebodybuilders.com/

Did you read the Valve Body replacement notes in the resource section? That will give you an idea (and pictures) of what's involved...

cattlecar
08-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Ream Man valve body is a great company. They offer exchange valve bodies with all the mods and improvements made for a reasonable price ($450).
I have installed two of them and it straightened out those cars. The valve body is a gamble to be honest. There can be issues with seals and bushings that can cause harsh shifts and slipping and require trans rebuild to fix.
Harsh downshifts are the symptom that seems to be the clue to valve body issues. The solenoids having worn bores and the valve body causes the staging of the clutches and brakes in trans to be wrong and the valve body addresses that.
reamman.com is the web address for those guys.

01V70XC5A
08-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info guys. In addition to the new solenoids I did plan to rebuild the Valve Body with a kit.

I've looked at both websites but I'll give them a call next week to get a better idea of the differences.

Astro14
08-28-2011, 01:44 PM
What kit? First, you need several kits (from Sonnax) to completely rebuild it...and you need a test bench to know what needs to be done.

What "kit" are you talking about?

Oh, and the solenoids are not cheap...the SLT alone is over $200...and it rarely fails, it is the worn bore that is causing problems...have you run the car with a manometer to know what your operating pressures are? Were you going to replace all 8 solenoids? Or just the 5 shift solenoids? How would you know which ones have failed?

I don't think you can rebuild the body for cheaper than a professional...and you can't test it once you're done...this is harder than a transmission rebuild (which I've done)...so why are you trying?

Pick a recommended rebuilder, put the rebuild in, have the dealer put the TCM in adapt mode and drive the adapt cycle.

Do it any other way, you're asking for disappointment...and wasted time and $$...

01V70XC5A
08-29-2011, 06:36 PM
^^^Yeah this is looking to be the case... There were a couple of rebuild kits out there with reman solenoids (found by googling), but it looks like the cost is pretty much the same as the reman units from the places you guys mentioned.

I'm going to have the new TCM program installed and see where I'm at after that. If the transmission shift quality continues to degrade then I'll purchase and install one of the remanufactured valve bodies.

Thanks again for the info.