PDA

View Full Version : Buy decision

soccerdude
09-03-2003, 09:22 PM
My jeep lease is almost finally done ( thank God ) what a piece of #$%#.

I really like the XC70.  My problem is I'm not convinced of Volvo's reliability.  If I'm going to pay premium $$$ for a used car. It better run great for 10+ years with NO problems.

I have a 93 Honda Accord that has been a awesome car.   Fun to drive, comfortable and stone cold reliable, but I like the idea of the 4wheel drive wagon ( It's cooler than a mini van ) and still has lots of room.

The other issue is that they seem hard to sell.  I've been watching the dealers and tracking prices.  The XC's don't sell very fast, so if I buy one and its a piece of #$%^, it looks like i could be stuck with it for a while.  Paying $40K  CDN for a 2001 with 50K km is another hard pill to swallow.  If I knew I was getting a awesome car, I would do it in a minute.

Advice please....

I am also looking at a Honda CRV, Nissan Murano, VW passat wagon, an yes possibly a .... mini van.

gas milage is also important!!!

ps - Jeep sucks

soccerdude

coastal
09-03-2003, 11:39 PM
Hi soccerdude.. where abouts in Canada are you located? Would make a big difference to the responses as auto markets vary widely across the country.

I've been tracking XC's here in BC and they seem to sell at a much higher price (used) and much faster than a comparable wagon of another brand. To contrast, Volvo sedans like the S70 are an extremely tough sell... lots seem to be full of them.

Thing to keep in mind too is that there will be a number of 2001's coming off of three year leases in the next few months... this should help to drag the price down a notch or two.

In terms of reliability, from what been posted here on the boards, I haven't really seen anything yet that leads me to believe the 2001 XC (nor 2002+) is a problem vehicle. Minor problems here and there and maybe a couple lemons, sure (going to happen with all brands), but it's not known as a car people are told to stay away from... in fact has earned Consumer Reports' Recommended rating. Of course that's not to say you won't experience problems but just as anything, if it's been well cared for and continues to be cared for in your hands, you should be in for a long stretch of happy XC ownership http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

budrichard
09-04-2003, 06:14 AM
Waht you are requesting is impossible. The ability to forsee the future does not exist contray to what gamblers and stock market analyists will tell you. The best that one can do is to use  past history to derive a probablity of future response. A probablity of sucess in itself is not a guarantee of future results.
You already have leased a Jeep which is listed as the WORST vehicle in terms of maintenance(I also have a Jeep Cherokee), Volvo's are traditionaly very good as witnessed by my recent post and other objective evidence. Form the tone of your post, it sounds to me that any vehicle if it has any problem will be a disapointment to you. Any Volvo will probably have at least one problem. Good luck in your decision. -Dick

littlewaywelt
09-04-2003, 06:41 AM
40k Canadian is not all that different from what a 01 is going for in the US. The 01 went for roughly 40k usd new, so you're getting a bargain.  The car and all of its features speak for itself.  IMO, it's worth every cent.
A used car is a used car.  There are no guarantees in life.  Look for one that has records and meticulously examine them for trends.
PS: Jeeps rock (1 YJ & 2 XJ's with 0 problems other than routine maintenance over about 450k miles).

barrysharp
09-04-2003, 07:00 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (soccerdude @ Sep. 03 2003,21:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My problem is I&#39;m not convinced of Volvo&#39;s reliability. If I&#39;m going to pay premium &#036;&#036;&#036; for a used car. It better run great for 10+ years with NO problems.

Advice please....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
1) You need to provide some statements that describe what it takes for you to be convinced.

2) No problems in 10+ years is a very high level of reliabability and I doubt there&#39;s a car that can meet such high expectations -- unless of course it&#39;s simply garaged.

I&#39;m not trying to be funny and do understand your inquiry -- that is, you want a reliable car.

My experience has been (and all my cars have been bought new) that Volvo provides a high level of reliability. There will be some problems but in general they&#39;re not out of the norm.

If you buy a Volvo service it properly per the Owner Manual and it will last your 10+ years. If you can afford it then buy new if not then buy used but make sure you get its service history. There are some for sale in the Classified forum section.

Good luck.

nicwood
09-04-2003, 01:23 PM
I have owned and driven many cars and my normal decision is to take into consideration the package of vehicle and service organisation.

The XC&#39;s like many cars are rich in technology, this often means having to take them to franchised garages to get them fixed (many issues are software and black box related, not just in Volvo&#39;s but all).

I have had poor service from BMW, Mercedes, and Range Rover garages, and generally [in my opinion] the higher priced the vehicle the more &#39;snooty&#39; the dealerships.

I am on my 4th Volvo in a row, and we have another older V70 in the household as well. &nbsp;Hope you get what your looking for, the XC is one of the finest examples of the Volvo range i have driven... Good luck &#33;

slender
09-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Soccerdude

If you are looking for cast iron reliability with four wheel drive capability, buy a Lexus RX300. If Canadian dealers are anything like UK Lexus dealers you are in for an excellent experience. However, the XC is a damn good vehicle, but, like anything else, you could end up with a bad `un whether you buy brand new or used. Will it have no problems? Highly unlikely. Will the Lexus have no problems? Highly unlikely. The real issue is how the problems are dealt with and how you are left feeling with the dealership experience.

Good luck.

soccerdude
09-04-2003, 05:04 PM
Coastal;
I&#39;m in alberta.
I have also noticed that the cars in the west are about &#036;3k to &#036;5k more expensive. The cost to ship from Ont. is about &#036;750. &nbsp;It might be an option, but I would be buying it sight unseen. &nbsp;The service records would have to be immaculate. &nbsp;The ones out east also have harder winters.

I have seen two car come in off of lease ( 3 years and 60K km ). &nbsp;One is ash gold with 61K for &#036;41K. &nbsp;I used the Volvo lese calculator, and the volvo buy out after three years is about &#036;32K. &nbsp;When the time comes, I plan to hammer on the dealer for a better price. &nbsp;Well see how much they can move. &nbsp;I would also prefer to buy privately and avoid the GST.

My other concern is the number of dealership. &nbsp;Only two in alberta. &nbsp;If something goes wrong in Timbuktwo, would Billy-Bob be able to fix it? http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/crazy.gif

soccerdude
09-04-2003, 05:38 PM
thanks for the advice.
This web site is awesome, and a big help.

presently I have the two extremes.
The Jeep ( GC ) has had multiple problems.
My Honda, literally has had none. &nbsp;Gas, oil, brakes, battery, and factory services ( timing belt, and tune ups ) at 200K km.

I expect 200K with only minors problems ( as above with maybe an alternator, window motor or other minor issue ).

Motor and tranny should last 400K km +

I can&#39;t afford another Jeep experience. &nbsp;My wife would shoot me. &nbsp;I&#39;m also pretty sure I made my last North American car purchase ( except Ford ).

I am meticulous with my maintanence and run synth oil and 91+ gas.

Are most of the posts reporting problems minor issues or major annoyances???

The volvo is presently my first choice, but the CRV isn&#39;t far behind.

I like the fact it is safe and the seating is comfortable.
Anything over an hour in my Jeep and my back hurts, I h still have to test the volvo on a long drive, but I think it&#39;s going to be a nice experience.

I like the RX300, but the gas milage isn&#39;t high enough.
I think we are going to see gas hit &#036;1.00 /liter ( &#036;2.00 /gallon ) in the near future.

My wife wants a mini van, but I just can&#39;t do it. &nbsp;You can&#39;t be cool in a mini van. &nbsp;The volvo is a nice compromise.

Is a 2002 any better than a 2001? Is the 2003 significantly better than the 2002? &nbsp;Price wise, I would prefer to stay with a lower Km 2001, but would spend the money to buy a 2002 if it was significantly better.

Thanks again for all your help.
http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/thumbs-up.gif

SpudRacer
09-04-2003, 05:47 PM
I must agree that Jeeps Rock. You can go a lot of places in an AWD Volvo, but for sheer fun and off-roading, Jeep will always be #1.

SpudRacer
09-04-2003, 05:49 PM
One more pic of my two babies...

The Mrs, and the mistress.

soccerdude
09-04-2003, 06:21 PM
I&#39;ll conceed one thing.
The 4 wheel drive system on a Jeep is awesome. &nbsp;I have BF goodridge all-terrains on it and in the winter time and it&#39;s like driving a mountain goat.

but...
twice it wouldn&#39;t start ( fuel injection programming )
its been in three times for warped brake rotors.
the seats are horrible.
the gas mileage is awful. &nbsp;The CDN mileage figures says its suppose to get 10.5 L/100. &nbsp;I get 12 if I drive at 95 km/hr on the highway. &nbsp;14 l/100 at a decent speed ( 125 km/hr ) and about 17 L/100 mixed.

My neighbor has a &#39;99 - just off of warranty and had to spend &#036;650 for tranny work. &nbsp;A buddy of mine had to replace his tranny at 115K km for about &#036;2500.

YJ are cool, They should have never discontinued the cherokee. &nbsp;GC are &#036;%^&amp; and the liberty will probably be the same. &nbsp;The I6 4liter motor is a good motor.

budrichard
09-05-2003, 07:27 AM
One last post to help you. All the problems on my Volvo&#39;s are minor. The 87 has the original engine and trans, still going strong. I have nursed lower back problems for 20 years and the Volvo&#39;s are the only vehicles I can do 600 miles in a day and feel better after then when starting out. The 03XC is the most comfortable of the lot. I would agree with the previous posts that the Lexus line of vehicles will probably be the most trouble free. The problem with the RX and other vehicles of that class is that they are built off car platforms and not do not offer the wheel travel or articulation of true off road vehicles. The Volvo XC with its 8+&quot; of ground clearance offers the best compromise of any vehicle. As I have previously posted, it goes 95% of the areas where I would drive my Jeep. Again good luck. -Dick

AkXCman
09-05-2003, 10:38 AM
Unfortunately, any car is a gamble. &nbsp;With some brands, the odds of getting a lemon are higher than others, but even the best manufactures produce an occasional lemon. &nbsp;If you end up with one, then the only thing that matters is how good the dealership is. &nbsp; A warranty is just a piece of paper and the dealer always holds the upper hand. &nbsp;We currently have an engine/transmission problem with our 01 XC that the dealer here in Alaska is unable to resolve. &nbsp;I still hold out hope that whatever part is causing the problem will fail completely before the warranty runs out in 15 months. If they can resolve the problem before the warranty ends then I might give Volvo another chance the next time I’m in the market for a new car. &nbsp;If not, then my new motto will be “burned by Volvo for life” &nbsp;http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif