PDA

View Full Version : Strange Noise!!

kurtwz
08-22-2011, 05:34 PM
Hey folks. New here! Sorry to make my first post a need for info, but my GF has an 05 XC 90 w/ 103K mi. I just noticed a whirring noise has developed from the rear of the car. Suspected bearing issue and have since then confirmed that it’s a known issue for this year, model car by searching online. Sound gets louder the faster the car is driven. Sound also goes away in turns. All this points to bearing issue, right? Here are my questions:

1. I think I can do this myself. Anyone have instructions w/ pictures for how to do this?
2. Any special tools I’ll need?
3. Recommended place for bearing?
4. Sound goes away on right turn. Does that mean it’s the right bearing?

She'll thank you for all the info and she's really cute, so PLEASE any info will help!! :D:D:D

kurtwz
08-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Any help, guys and girls??? :confused: Need some advice here. Thanks!

04XCINLA
08-24-2011, 10:35 AM
Try the sweedespeed.com forums.

hfwilkesjr
08-24-2011, 07:11 PM
http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11018&highlight=wheel+bearing+hub+xc90

This seems to be the most informative I've found so far. I plan in replacing my right rear wheel hub in a week or so. I plan on purchasing the hub from tasca parts.

To check with rear hubs, I chocked the front wheels and lifted the rear wheels off the ground and support with jack stands (can be done individually). Then hold the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions and jerk the wheel out and in as if pulling the tire off. A thunk is an indication of a problem. You can check the front wheels the same way but be sure to chock the rear wheels.
Another way is to spin the wheel and listen for a grinding sound from the center of the wheel. This way may be a little more difficult due to the noise that you normally get from the wheels brake components as the wheel spins.

I hope this helps, good luck with her.