PDA

View Full Version : 2004 XC70 Transmission (HELP).

WetIS31
08-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Hey guys I tried looking for a solution on this forum but to no avail. I've only had the car for 3 weeks so I'm not too familiar with it as of yet. However this morning, after not driving it for a week or so, I started it up and lo and behold, it won't even move when I put it in gear. It feels like the rear passenger side is "stuck" as I would put in reverse/drive the car would slightly sway (without using the gas pedal). The car has 125161 miles on it and it has a clean history. How does it go from driving well to being a very heavy paper weight?! If somebody can shed some light on this and possible solutions it would be greatly appreciated. I just hope I didn't waste my money on a dudd. Thanks in advance for the help/input.

Astro14
08-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Sounds like a stuck parking brake...what happens when you give it a bit (just a bit) of throttle?

WetIS31
08-19-2011, 01:59 PM
It sort of dips a little(if that makes any sense). It just feels like the rear pass. side dips when I put it in reverse..I've never had any experience with stuck parking brake so I'm not sure how its suppose to feel. How'd I go about finding out if its the parking brake?

JRL
08-19-2011, 02:09 PM
Have you or your your mechanic remove the rear hub and look at them, how else!
Stuck or broken e-brake shoes or broken e-brake cables are a part of Volvo life

WetIS31
08-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Good to know...I appreciate the help gents...I'm going to hope that is the issue.

Volky_one
08-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Good to know...I appreciate the help gents...I'm going to hope that is the issue.
Did you use e-brake when you parked your car? if not, how can e-brake keeps the car from moving when it was not used during parking the car?

BillAileo
08-19-2011, 04:32 PM
My guess is that the rear rotors were wet and not hot when the car was parked. The pads are rusted to the rotors. I've had it happen to me a couple times when I washed the car and immediately parked it for a while. When it happened to me I carefully pushed on the gas pedal in reverse until the pads popped loose. That "pop" didn't make me feel good about the condition of the pads, but examination revealed no damage.

WetIS31
08-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Did you use e-brake when you parked your car? if not, how can e-brake keeps the car from moving when it was not used during parking the car?

Yes the ebrake was engaged the entire time it was parked (1 week).

WetIS31
08-20-2011, 12:29 AM
My guess is that the rear rotors were wet and not hot when the car was parked. The pads are rusted to the rotors. I've had it happen to me a couple times when I washed the car and immediately parked it for a while. When it happened to me I carefully pushed on the gas pedal in reverse until the pads popped loose. That "pop" didn't make me feel good about the condition of the pads, but examination revealed no damage.

It has been raining hard the past week or so I'm hoping it is. I haven't really given it much throttle or any..afraid of further damaging anything but I'll give it a little more gas next time and see if that solves it. Thanks for the input.

BillAileo
08-20-2011, 02:57 AM
On further reflection perhaps what I have experienced is what Astro14 described: a stuck parking brake, rather than stuck pads. In any event, the cure was carefully throttling to get it to release.

WetIS31
08-21-2011, 09:21 AM
On further reflection perhaps what I have experienced is what Astro14 described: a stuck parking brake, rather than stuck pads. In any event, the cure was carefully throttling to get it to release.

Fair enough, thanks for the input.

chipenter
08-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Had this on the V70 but mine was six months , my solution was to remove the wheels and insert a screw driver in through a bolt hole tap and lever the shoes , tried driving for a hundred yards with the back wheels locked to no avail .