PDA

View Full Version : '01-'07's vs newer gen; opinions?

brider
08-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I've seen it discussed here before, but can't find any threads devoted to this; what are the things people DON'T like in the newer-generation XC70's versus the older '01 thru '07 models?

This is an issue in our house because I want my wife to get the previous version, and she says she wants the newer version. Personally, I think the newer version looks like a Subaru in the rear, and more like an XC90 everywhere else.

The earlier version is STILL the classiest-looking wagon I've ever seen.

I'm looking for critical points, like gas mileage, interior space, ergonomics, performance, comfort, reliability, gripes, etc.
Thanks!

cattlecar
08-19-2011, 12:52 PM
The 3rd gen have a more luxury car ride and are quieter. So far the 3rd gen have no issues with the front spring seats, bushings, and sway bar links. MPG is pretty similar as is reliability but maybe the 3rd gen has a leg up in reliability as network seems to have been no problem.
The 2nd gen may be more of a driver's car as it seems to have more feedback in steering.
If you get 3rd gen with non-turbo engine the power will suffer at altitude. 3rd gen with turbo engine will leave 2nd gen in the dust though.

3rd gen is a bit more roomy for 2nd row seats and probably a wash on cargo area. 3rd gen has much better way to restrain cargo standard.

3rd gen is timing chain, 2nd gen timing belt.

Seat comfort is up to personal tastes and body shape I guess.
I have lots of hours in both as I had a previous job with Volvo company cars, seats were fine in both for me.

3rd gen feels much more solid when you are on rough roads. This is pretty much universal for all makes as they get redesigned. There is more known on how to build more solid structures with no added weight.

jda2000
08-19-2011, 01:21 PM
3rd gen with turbo engine will leave 2nd gen in the dust though.

3rd gen is a bit more roomy for 2nd row seats and probably a wash on cargo area. 3rd gen has much better way to restrain cargo standard.

3rd gen is timing chain, 2nd gen timing belt.

3rd gen feels much more solid when you are on rough roads.

Cattlecar,

I like 3rd gen already. The timing chain, sold it. :p

Pennhaven
08-20-2011, 11:04 AM
How similar is the fuel economy actually?

I ask because the third generation is considerably heavier, and also going from a 5 cylinder turbo to a larger displacement V6.

That along with the glitzier (overdone IMO) styling are what I found disappointing about the 3rd generation when it came out.

Not saying that the 3rd gen is a bad car, mind you, just that it changed in ways I didn't see as improvements from the sweet spot the 2nd gen. occupies.

Astro14
08-20-2011, 12:35 PM
V-6?

You sure?

Thought it was an inline-6...

Pennhaven
08-20-2011, 01:13 PM
V-6?

You sure?

Thought it was an inline-6...

Stand corrected. Inline 6. :) Thanks.

While I'm checking facts:

Curb weight is 4,147 lbs (4,152 w/ turbo) vs. 3,699 for gen 2 (2003).

Engine displacement 3.2L (3.0 w/ turbo) vs. 2.5L for gen 2.

EPA Fuel economy [City/Highway mpg] 18/24 (17/23 turbo) vs. 18/25 for gen 2.

So now I've answered my own question, provided the EPA numbers reflect the real world consistently. The fuel economy numbers actually surprise me. Maybe 2% worse (50/50 aggregate) for the normally aspirated and 7% for the turbo. Pretty decent considering the added weight and engine displacement.

Though I've just checked my own data and actual city/highway mpg over the time I've owned the '04 looks to be approximately 18/28. YMMV. :)