PDA

View Full Version : ATF Power flush

Volky_one
08-16-2011, 04:00 PM
My car's transmission is failing me, I changed fluid 2 times, once drained only half the fluid and second drained using Gibbons method, Got my Vida Dice tool, reset fluid counter and got new TCM software, readapted TCM, but still I don't like the results. my final asault before I can change the valve body is a Tranny power flush, does anyone think this is going to improve shifting?
the transmission is ok, but I don't like how slow the car moves when I takeoff. sometimes it will stay in 4th for long time before I manually slide it to manual to get to 5th. 1rt adaptation run about 800 miles, second adaptation is in its 150th miles, did it last weekend.
Any thought?

Astro14
08-16-2011, 04:20 PM
My car's transmission is failing me, I changed fluid 2 times, once drained only half the fluid and second drained using Gibbons method, Got my Vida Dice tool, reset fluid counter and got new TCM software, readapted TCM, but still I don't like the results. my final asault before I can change the valve body is a Tranny power flush, does anyone think this is going to improve shifting?
the transmission is ok, but I don't like how slow the car moves when I takeoff. sometimes it will stay in 4th for long time before I manually slide it to manual to get to 5th. 1rt adaptation run about 800 miles, second adaptation is in its 150th miles, did it last weekend.
Any thought?

Not sure what your symptoms are...other than you don't like how it works.

Does it clunk? are the gear engagements quick and smooth? Or rough and jerky? When you go from Park - R - D does it engage quickly? Or hesitate and clunk into gear? When you did the adaptation...was it really in adapt mode? did you get the orange triangle after every shift? When you say slow to take off...is it in 1st? Winter mode? Did you try manually selecting 1st? Is the engine running fine otherwise? Could be your engine is performing poorly (like failing TCV) and you're blaming the trans...

If this is the original trans, and you're driving an '02 with over 150K...then you might be out of luck...depends on the symptoms...

Volky_one
08-16-2011, 08:39 PM
Not sure what your symptoms are...other than you don't like how it works.

Does it clunk? are the gear engagements quick and smooth? Or rough and jerky? When you go from Park - R - D does it engage quickly? Or hesitate and clunk into gear? When you did the adaptation...was it really in adapt mode? did you get the orange triangle after every shift? When you say slow to take off...is it in 1st? Winter mode? Did you try manually selecting 1st? Is the engine running fine otherwise? Could be your engine is performing poorly (like failing TCV) and you're blaming the trans...

If this is the original trans, and you're driving an '02 with over 150K...then you might be out of luck...depends on the symptoms...
Symptoms are 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, engine is beautifully awesome and quiet, I forgot to mention that I also changed the B4 Servo, the transmission does not cluck when shifting, I get kind of hickup sometimes, or delayed engagements. yes It was in adapt mode for I got orange triangle light on every gear change. car will drive slow mostly in 3rd and 4th until driven about 1/4 mile without another stop. the first atf change that came out was really dark like chocolate. I believe that the valves may be sticky or that the SLT may be leaking.

kamiar
08-16-2011, 09:05 PM
I dont think a power flush will do any good if not any harm with that mileage and also you already did the fluid change,,,,

Volky_one
08-20-2011, 04:54 AM
I dont think a power flush will do any good if not any harm with that mileage and also you already did the fluid change,,,,

Somebody out there got to know more about these cars, I took the car two days ago to AAmco, they diagnosed transmission for free and they told me they found nothing wrong, but I am the one who drives the car and know how it feels. maybe they maybe right, maybe something else is wrong, Turbo maybe, or low boost maybe. The car's engine was replaced by the dealer who sold me the car about in April, this I am not sure if he replaced or fixed engine, it was out of state dealer. AAmco said they would overhaul tranny for $2800 and I declined it saying I would rather like them to fix the Valvebody, which they told me they have no means to fix it, but they can take it out and put it back in for me for $391 plus $98 for fluid if I decide to ship it to Canada for repair.
I have another turbo car( 2002 VW GTI ) that I do fix myself, I did fix the valvebody on it and now is good,Changed the turbo myself and got no troubles, but for the volvo I am still challenged for I never changed any major component on volvos.
Can someone out there points me to the right path? The car is still driveabe, with only 2 top gears 4 and 5, the rest drive too slow and I don't know if I can call it limp mode.

Astro14
08-20-2011, 07:24 AM
I can't tell from your description what is wrong. AAMCO (or the dealer) may not see codes in the computer - that doesn't mean the trans is OK, it means the computer sees operating values in the normal range...not the same thing.

I am not even sure it's the trans that is acting up here. It certainly could be, but if it's staying in too high a gear, I wouldn't know where to begin...it sounds more like the engine isn't running right.

What happens when you shift it manually? Does the engine respond well if you choose the gear? Or is it sluggish?

The quote from AAMCO on a valve body replacement is actually quite inexpensive...I've done it twice...and it's a PITA...but I don't know if your trans needs a valve body...It might be that you have an engine problem...