PDA

View Full Version : Please help me diagnose horrible front end vibration!

RockitShip
08-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Background; weird vibration like bad TRE's and/or bad axles.
happens at all speeds, feels like flat spot on tire at low speeds, but feels sorta like bad axle when accelerating, but happens whether or not on gas, or in neutral.

I've also recently replace my bevel gear sleeve; vibration was/is present both before and after sleeve fixed my AWD, (so I know that it's not the driveshaft as it was not spinning before sleeve fix).

Here's what I've replaced on suspension;
Replaced:
control arms
ball joints
outer TRE's & left inner TRE
brakes (all)
lower torque mount
both front axles with DSS one's (wondering if right one is defected)
left front wheel bearing/hub

I noticed with the car on the lift, and only turning the left (drivers side axle, with right axle removed), there is no up/down vibration on trans./bevel gear area. However, as soon as I reinsert the right axle I see a weird up/down movement on the entire engine/trans/bevel gear.???

Also, My engine does not jump around when in P or N as to suggest a bad motor mount(s).

Also had car aligned, tires checked/balanced not too long ago (did TRE's first), although I'm due for another alignment after replacing control arms.

I'm starting to wonder if my right side DSS axle is bad?? Is it a motor mount (although I doubt it)?? Bad right side wheel bearing?? :confused:

RockitShip
08-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Hmmmm.... starting to wonder if I have a bad axle bearing carrier.
Does anyone know how to check for a bad carrier? Mine did seem to get pretty hot after spinning for just 2 or 3 mins. on the lift.

kamiar
08-16-2011, 06:29 PM
I heard these usually don't go bad! i also heard same about the water pump, but i had to change 2 of those is 3 years, so you never know...

But a bad axle from DSS is more possible...

RockitShip
08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Well that would suck big time! I couldn't see anything wrong with either axle spinning on the lift (looks straight). And I can't hear anything during slow speed turn to indicate a bad bearing.

I also remember not putting on the C clips, (which were on the old ones) on the ends of the axle shafts.... As the New DSS ones didn't come with any.... should I have put on new C clips?

kamiar
08-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Without them the axle shaft is loose tranny side, isn't it?

ifnt420
08-16-2011, 09:21 PM
Worn bushing on the center of the Driveshaft can cause vibration like you described.
Not sure if you've checked it out.
Good Luck!

RockitShip
08-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Worn bushing on the center of the Driveshaft can cause vibration like you described.
Not sure if you've checked it out.
Good Luck!

Although its symptoms sound like a bad driveshaft, I pretty much ruled out the driveshaft entirely;
Vibration was happening before I fixed my bevel gear collar/sleeve... the driveshaft wasn't spinning at all, and I still had the vibration.
But yes, I did check it out on the lift and the bushing/bearing/support that supports the driveshaft looked OK.

RockitShip
08-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Without them the axle shaft is loose tranny side, isn't it?

I don't know.. I'm also wondering if this is causing the vibration.
What's weird is that I would expect them to deliver the C clips with the axle shafts, but they didn't come with any, so I didn't put any on. I dunno... :confused:

Not Boxy
08-19-2011, 07:00 AM
Hi Rockit - I just had my front left CV axle replaced. (See last paragraph.)
Not sure if this helps.

(Am still dealing with ongoing issues - that you replied to some weeks ago - concerning sluggish acceleration and misfire, but... whatever!)

Anyway, one thing an independent person identified (concerning vibration) was that my lower control arms are kind of not "set" right. The fellow says it's the same problem in... Chryslers... but whatever. As the shop is owned by a friend of mine, they're going to do some adjustments for free. Which I understand nothing about.

Anyway, I will report back; there is a very small chance that might be useful to you. Then again... perhaps not!:confused: