PDA

View Full Version : What to tell my mechanic for inspection?

XCFundi
08-08-2011, 09:49 PM
I am taking my 1 week old to me 2001 V70 XC to my VERY trusted mechanic of 15 years tomorrow. He has taken care of 2 Toyotas for me during that time.

I am having him do a complete inspection to make sure this vehicle is a keeper (or a sell fast and run)

Any recommendations on things I should tell him to check on? Thanks! I really do hope she is a keeper as I have surprising fallen in love with this thing in under a week, but the info on this forum and Edmunds Consumer Reports has me REALLY SPOOKED!

The only major thing that I have noticed is the brake pedal sometimes goes long or goes really long and then you have to do a double pump to break correctly. Master Cylinder?

Here is the list I am giving him

Volvo Master Repair List to check out

• Brakes pedal regularly goes long. Master Cylinder or Module?
• Steering has a bit of a bump like resistance when turning either direction
• Idles badly
• When coming to a stop, it wants to give a little last jump. Transmission or Engine?
• Yellow Warning light on at center of instrument panel ( I hope it is just from the Bulb warning message)
• Serpintine Belt Worn?
• Gas Door closes but does not lock?
• Rearview Mirror is defective
• Small fan behind temperature slot sensor in dash runs a lot even after shut off ( I think this is normal)
• Windshield Crack really sucks
• Is there an Air Intake missing on computer box under hood? Looks like on the nozzle that a hose or something was clamped there at one time
• Rear light out
• Light Bulb Message on Warning Message
• One Headlight more dim than other
• Headlight switch when turned to “O” will not turn lights OFF
• Side Mirror Button broken annoying
• How do you jump start this thing? Battery fully covered in rear
• Occasional whirring Space Ship sound from right side dash when making left turns
• Grill Grommets missing on top of grill under hood.
• How critical is tire pressure and tread on an AWD vehicle and how sensitive is the Viscous Coupling?
• Wiring and plug hanging loose in rear tire compartment
• Hand Brake doesn’t seem to work well
• Rear View Mirror
• Center Rear Head Rest missing
• Cross Bar for racks
• Rear Fog Lights?
• Wiper Blades front/back
• Check all jack parts, lug wrench, lug lock?, Full size spare possible?,
• New Remote Key $?
• Where are all the fuses?

Things I’ve been told to watch for
• Angle Gear
• Transmission
• Transmission Fluid is Moblil ATF 3309 I think and the tranny is evidently very particular to this one only or has problems
• Filters should be original paper kind
• there is a known issue of the B4 servo cover causing shift flares in MY01/02 XC70's. It's a $18 part and 30 minutes of work. Details here: http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9192
• Does the software need updating
• Do you know of any recalls on parts?
• Motor mounts.
• Struts (undersized).
• Tie Rods (undersized)
• Front Control Arm Front Bushings tend to crack and tear
• ETM?

JRL
08-09-2011, 04:25 AM
You were warned
This has so many issues I don't know where to start
I understand you trust him but it needs to go to Volvo at some point
Unless he does Volvos and has a subscription to Vadis/VIDA (Volvo computer) he won't be able to pull stored codes or fix certain things

Thump is tranny, the stop neutral software is STILL IN IT (VERY VERY BAD)
Needs software, fluid change and prey (Volvo only)
Mirror you ned a new one or remove the guts off a used 01 mirror and swap, you just can't install a used mirror, it's tied to the VIN
DRLs need to be turned off at (Volvo only)

Gas door locks on 2001s after you move and unlocks when you stop no switch on a 2001.
I could go on for 4 pages, most of this needs to be done at Volvo and you're looking at a bill in the thousandS!!!

Join Matthews, much info there plus DYI repair threads
www.matthewsvolvosite.com

billr99
08-09-2011, 04:49 AM
Well, let me see what I can add that might help:

• Brakes pedal regularly goes long. Master Cylinder or Module? - I've always thought that Volvos have a long pedal compared to many of my other cars. Coming off Toyotas, this might be the case here. Check out the system and if all OK, it will be something to get used to. SS braided lines do not help much either.
• Steering has a bit of a bump like resistance when turning either direction - The is a u-joint in the steering shaft that at high miles can go bad or get stiff due to wear. Replace. Also check for a dry or worn tie rod end.
• Idles badly - Try your basic tune-up first, then move to clean the MAF. Maybe others can jump in here, but '01s can have a bad throttle Control Module (i.e. throttle plate) that might be a contributor.
• When coming to a stop, it wants to give a little last jump. Transmission or Engine? - That's the tranny making a downshift. TCM software update might help as well as a fluid change.
• Yellow Warning light on at center of instrument panel ( I hope it is just from the Bulb warning message) - Yep, that will do it.
• Serpintine Belt Worn? - Fairly easy to replace
• Gas Door closes but does not lock? - Could be a bad lock motor or someone snipped the plastic lock plunger because the lock went bad.
• Rearview Mirror is defective - Do a search here and find the procedure to replace with a manual mirror. There is a bit of circuitry in the mirror that is needed for the security system but this can be transplanted to a used manual mirror. Don't screw with the auto-dim, way too expensive for minimal functionality IMHO.
• Small fan behind temperature slot sensor in dash runs a lot even after shut off ( I think this is normal) - Could be. Might also need carefully cleaned as they have a tendency to collect lint on the sensor making them work a bit harder. Be careful though as some have ruined the thing (which is needed by the ECC to work properly) by vacuuming too close to it. A soft, small paint brush works well I think.
• Windshield Crack really sucks - Yeah, but fairly standard replacement on these. Nothing exceptional.
• Is there an Air Intake missing on computer box under hood? Looks like on the nozzle that a hose or something was clamped there at one time - It could have had one which is now missing, but most were never there as that part is a hold over from the past when a cooling hose was used. Don't worry about it.
• Rear light out - Have fun. Not the easiest car to replace rear bulbs depending on which one is bad.
• Light Bulb Message on Warning Message - Yep, that is the way it works.
• One Headlight more dim than other - More than likely a partially melted headlamp socket. A known issue best solved by total replacement of the socket. I got three pair off eBay for $10.
• Headlight switch when turned to “O” will not turn lights OFF - Called DRLs, can be switched off via a VIDA hookup, otherwise it's normal (at least in Canada [thumbup])
• Side Mirror Button broken annoying - Replace switch which is not cheap as it is in with the Master Door Switch
• How do you jump start this thing? Battery fully covered in rear - Look carefully and you will find battery terminals for just this purpose under a cover next to the engine compartment fuse block.
• Occasional whirring Space Ship sound from right side dash when making left turns - Your heater fan's bearing is either dry or nearly gone; best to just replace the fan as it will get worse.
• Grill Grommets missing on top of grill under hood. ????
• How critical is tire pressure and tread on an AWD vehicle and how sensitive is the Viscous Coupling? - I run even pressures all around and get good neutral handling with a slight fade to oversteer if I back off hard which is what I like, but I am also running an Eibach spring setup and 15mm rear wheel spacers all of which alters handling fro stock. In any case, my suggestion is to run even pressures. The AWD is more concerned with nearly identical tire diameter so even tire wear is what you want to keep an eye on. There is some tolerance but not enough for the normal person to make a judgement IMHO, so just keep the tires even up all around and you will be good.
• Wiring and plug hanging loose in rear tire compartment - That's not good, but the rear hitch wiring does kind of just hang there if you do not have that option installed.
• Hand Brake doesn’t seem to work well - At your mileage, the rear e-brake shoes are either totally worn but more than likely gone. Replace rear e-brake shoes making sure all the hardware is good as well as the cables. But you can check the adjustment first to see if there is any hope that way.
• Rear View Mirror - Is this the same one above?
• Center Rear Head Rest missing - There isn't one, is there? I don't have one.
• Cross Bar for racks - couple of options here. Square bars with stanchions made by Thule and a set that sits a bit lower and are aero shaped. I have the former and wish I had the latter.
• Rear Fog Lights? - Yep, turn switch (next to the front fog switch) and should be one on the drivers side. It co-habitates with the rear tail light on that side.
• Wiper Blades front/back - Yep, those are good to have. :D Sorry I couldn't help myself.
• Check all jack parts, lug wrench, lug lock?, Full size spare possible?, A full size spare is possible, but why? More weight and un-necessary if you keep a handle on your road tires. After all, it is supposed to be a spare for emergencies, right?
• New Remote Key $? - Oh yeah, big money considering and dealer programming involved as well. A real PITA and perhaps it should be if you think about it.
• Where are all the fuses? You have a box under the hood, in the passenger compartment at the drivers side end of the dash and in the rear on the drivers side. Most heavily fused car I have seen except maybe a Jag XJ.

Sounds like you might find an owners manual handy. They can be found here (http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/yourvolvo/volvo-vehicle-information-library/pages/default.aspx) at the bottom of the page. Just enter in the appropriate info and off you go.

Cheers and have fun,

Bill

JRL
08-09-2011, 05:58 AM
Bill
You're 100% wrong with a lot of your answers... sorry

JRL
08-09-2011, 06:03 AM
Well, let me see what I can add that might help:

• Brakes pedal regularly goes long. Master Cylinder or Module? - I've always thought that Volvos have a long pedal compared to many of my other cars. Coming off Toyotas, this might be the case here. Check out the system and if all OK, it will be something to get used to. SS braided lines do not help much either.
• Steering has a bit of a bump like resistance when turning either direction - The is a u-joint in the steering shaft that at high miles can go bad or get stiff due to wear. Replace. Also check for a dry or worn tie rod end.
• Idles badly - Try your basic tune-up first, then move to clean the MAF. Maybe others can jump in here, but '01s can have a bad throttle Control Module (i.e. throttle plate) that might be a contributor.
NO• When coming to a stop, it wants to give a little last jump. Transmission or Engine? - That's the tranny making a downshift. TCM software update might help as well as a fluid change.

NO, STOP NEUTRAL IN PLAY•

Yellow Warning light on at center of instrument panel ( I hope it is just from the Bulb warning message) - Yep, that will do it.
• Serpintine Belt Worn? - Fairly easy to replace
• Gas Door closes but does not lock? - Could be a bad lock motor or someone snipped the plastic lock plunger because the lock went bad.

NOT WITH 2001•
Rearview Mirror is defective - Do a search here and find the procedure to replace with a manual mirror.
CANNOT DO, TIED TO THE ALARM

There is a bit of circuitry in the mirror that is needed for the security system but this can be transplanted to a used manual mirror. Don't screw with the auto-dim, way too expensive for minimal functionality IMHO.
• Small fan behind temperature slot sensor in dash runs a lot even after shut off ( I think this is normal) - Could be. Might also need carefully cleaned as they have a tendency to collect lint on the sensor making them work a bit harder. Be careful though as some have ruined the thing (which is needed by the ECC to work properly) by vacuuming too close to it. A soft, small paint brush works well I think.
• Windshield Crack really sucks - Yeah, but fairly standard replacement on these. Nothing exceptional.
• Is there an Air Intake missing on computer box under hood? Looks like on the nozzle that a hose or something was clamped there at one time - It could have had one which is now missing, but most were never there as that part is a hold over from the past when a cooling hose was used. Don't worry about it.

NOTHING THERE ON P2 CARS, SUPPOSED TO BE A HOLE TO NOWHERE•
Rear light out - Have fun. Not the easiest car to replace rear bulbs depending on which one is bad.
• Light Bulb Message on Warning Message - Yep, that is the way it works.
• One Headlight more dim than other - More than likely a partially melted headlamp socket. A known issue best solved by total replacement of the socket. I got three pair off eBay for $10.
• Headlight switch when turned to “O” will not turn lights OFF - Called DRLs, can be switched off via a VIDA hookup, otherwise it's normal (at least in Canada [thumbup])
• Side Mirror Button broken annoying - Replace switch which is not cheap as it is in with the Master Door Switch
• How do you jump start this thing? Battery fully covered in rear - Look carefully and you will find battery terminals for just this purpose under a cover next to the engine compartment fuse block.
• Occasional whirring Space Ship sound from right side dash when making left turns - Your heater fan's bearing is either dry or nearly gone; best to just replace the fan as it will get worse.
• Grill Grommets missing on top of grill under hood. ????

SNAP BUTTONS FROM VOLVO•

How critical is tire pressure and tread on an AWD vehicle and how sensitive is the Viscous Coupling? -

CRITICAL. AND ALL TIRES MUST HAVE THE SAME TREAD

I run even pressures all around and get good neutral handling with a slight fade to oversteer if I back off hard which is what I like, but I am also running an Eibach spring setup and 15mm rear wheel spacers all of which alters handling fro stock. In any case, my suggestion is to run even pressures. The AWD is more concerned with nearly identical tire diameter so even tire wear is what you want to keep an eye on. There is some tolerance but not enough for the normal person to make a judgement IMHO, so just keep the tires even up all around and you will be good.
• Wiring and plug hanging loose in rear tire compartment - That's not good, but the rear hitch wiring does kind of just hang there if you do not have that option installed.
• Hand Brake doesn’t seem to work well - At your mileage, the rear e-brake shoes are either totally worn but more than likely gone. Replace rear e-brake shoes making sure all the hardware is good as well as the cables. But you can check the adjustment first to see if there is any hope that way.
• Rear View Mirror - Is this the same one above?
• Center Rear Head Rest missing - There isn't one, is there? I don't have one.

YES YOU DO, A VERY SMALL. SHORT ONE•

Cross Bar for racks - couple of options here. Square bars with stanchions made by Thule and a set that sits a bit lower and are aero shaped. I have the former and wish I had the latter.
• Rear Fog Lights? - Yep, turn switch (next to the front fog switch) and should be one on the drivers side. It co-habitates with the rear tail light on that side.
• Wiper Blades front/back - Yep, those are good to have. :D Sorry I couldn't help myself.
• Check all jack parts, lug wrench, lug lock?, Full size spare possible?, A full size spare is possible, but why? More weight and un-necessary if you keep a handle on your road tires. After all, it is supposed to be a spare for emergencies, right?
• New Remote Key $? - Oh yeah, big money considering and dealer programming involved as well. A real PITA and perhaps it should be if you think about it.
• Where are all the fuses? You have a box under the hood, in the passenger compartment at the drivers side end of the dash and in the rear on the drivers side. Most heavily fused car I have seen except maybe a Jag XJ.

Sounds like you might find an owners manual handy. They can be found here (http://www.volvocars.com/us/top/yourvolvo/volvo-vehicle-information-library/pages/default.aspx) at the bottom of the page. Just enter in the appropriate info and off you go.

Cheers and have fun,

Bill

billr99
08-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Bill
You're 100% wrong with a lot of your answers... sorry
Not really, as I have encountered most of what he is asking myself. I too have a high mileage unit of similar age. Also I don't rely on a mechanic to tell me what's what as some do; I do my own work and know my car in depth.

BTW, I do not consider that wee thing in the center rear seat a real head rest hence my answer. Also if you read carefully, I am making suggestions as to possible causes not necessarily definitive diagnosis. My '02 does not have stop neutral and never has, but my tranny does a wee bump on the 3-2 downshift coming to a stop. Part of it is that the revs have dropped to idle just before the shift. Maybe it supposed to do that but I think it's a code problem which a re-load or update of the software would hopefully fix. Maybe not. In any case, I am merely suggesting that his problem is similar. As far as the interior mirror, what I wrote is a documented fix. I haven't had to do it but others have successfully.

So this forum has no experts and I'm not suggesting that I am one; but I, along with a fair number of others here, have lived in the grease of these cars and are not ignorant. Why we continue to take time to help others and at the same time invite criticism from someone who does not turn a wrench is beyond me. Guess now that I'm retired, I like the abuse as it reminds me of when I was working.

Cheers,

Bill

XCFundi
08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Thank you both! I know you both mean well and it is VERY appreciated!

God Bless