PDA

View Full Version : Box and t-track cross bars

thomaslally
05-19-2003, 08:42 AM
I am going to buy a Thule or Yakima box later this summer.  I didn't choose the brand and model yet, I would like to see how the X-1 looks on the XC70 and above all how it performs before to make a choice.  Well, a this point I am aware of the other threads concerning box, but as long as some of you might have a comment to make about their box, regarding the look, how useful it is, noise, etc, I would like to hear what you have to say.

That told, I am wondering, is it better to take the t-track cross bars from Volvo or where I purchase the box?  Any difference?

thank you

Thomas

Low Tide
05-19-2003, 12:42 PM
No comment on the box- but FYI- T-track bars are only available from Volvo in North America.  Thule sells only square bars and Yakima only the round.  There are two T-track choices from Volvo- Aluminum Oval Profile  and Wing Profile.  

The main advantage of the t-track system is the noise level is less from the aero shape and mounts/dismounts are quick and simple comparatively to the square bar.  

The main disadvantage revolves around the needed fit kits for some accessories.  The kits are cheap, but you must use them in order to take advantage of the quiet t-track system.

Accessory fit/install kits are available from Volvo to allow you to install Thule accessories or Volvo onto the T-tracks.  Thule also makes a  couple of the fit kits to adapt north american accessories to the european t-track system.  

I have Volvo part numbers for those that need something specific- ie the box.

littlewaywelt
05-19-2003, 12:47 PM
can you stand on the volvo cross bars or t racks?

Low Tide
05-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Don't see why not.  Both T-track sets are still made by Thule.  The Volvo Aluminum Oval Profile Load Carriers are sold by Thule in the rest of the world (outside NA) as the Aero Bar.  the Volvo Wing Profile Bar is manufacturer to spec by Thule for Volvo.  Thule does not sell the Wing Profile bar- its OEM only.  

The weight restrictions are the same on all three types.  If I had to pick which one looked strongest, I'd say the Wing Profile- but that is subjective.  They are heavier and a bit wider- the profile looks just like an airplane wing.  They clamp between the roof rails rather than on top of the roof rails.  The wind noise is negligible.  That's a big difference over the square bars for sure.

emil
05-20-2003, 07:40 AM
I like the Wing Profile Bars a lot (quite, sleek), but when looking at them I am concerned that they have much shorter tracks than Oval Profile Bars (it is probabl 10cm less than the distance between the roof rails). I think that it would be possible to fit at least two bicycles and a narrow box on the Oval ones but definetely not on the Wing bars.

Low Tide
05-20-2003, 09:03 AM
I looked at that exact issue when the final choice was made...

Important to look at the distance between the bars to see how the mounting takes up room.  Although the wings are narrower, the space able to mount accessories is nearly identical to the Ovals.  Look at how much more room the oval bar's mounting feet take up...

I compared the three types side by side.... the ovals space is identical to the square's space.

The top bar on the oval is longer to be sure, but the amount of usable  mounting space between the oval and the wing is not very great.  You loose effectively about 2-3 cm... and that is not enough of a difference between the two to allow you to mount additional stuff.  They do look nice- and are made from the same material as the roof rails.  

I was wondering too if a narrow box and two bikes would mount on either.... the short answer is "I think so..." I'll measure the free space after mounting two bikes If you want me to....  The mounting setup was pretty easy, but I did not yet measure the free space left.  It sure is quiet though.... a huge difference between the wing and square bars!

thomaslally
05-21-2003, 10:41 AM
I love airplanes so I choose Volvo   http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif

thanks everyone for the tips.  I will purchase the Thule evolution.  

Thomas

littlewaywelt
05-21-2003, 11:07 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Low Tide @ May 20 2003,12:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was wondering too if a narrow box and two bikes would mount on either.... the short answer is &quot;I think so...&quot; I&#39;ll measure the free space after mounting two bikes If you want me to.... The mounting setup was pretty easy, but I did not yet measure the free space left. It sure is quiet though.... a huge difference between the wing and square bars&#33;[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I can fit two bike trays easilly with the Thule Mountaineer box which is 28 inches wide.

edit - NOTE: ALL items are mounted inside the factory rack along the long axis of the car. &nbsp;If I switch to my longer cross bars I can add 2 more bike trays (4 total). &nbsp;Unfortunately, after my wife wacked her head the first time, the shorter cross bars went back on, at her ...umm...request.

emil
05-22-2003, 02:16 AM
littlewaywelt, Low Tide, thanks for your feedback, it is very useful

With a square bar (which I borrowed for my last trip) I was limited in spreading the mountings of bike trays by not being able to go outside the roof rail with one of the mountings because there would not be enouth space on the section of the bar that goes beyond the roof rail. I thought that this will be no problem with the ovals as I thought I could move the mounting in the track as far as I wished i.e. beyond the roof rail. &nbsp;Though I may be making a wrong assumption that square and oval bars are same length. http://xc70.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/huh2.gif

Low Tide
05-22-2003, 08:06 AM
emil-

Your point may be true IF you can get oval bars in different lengths, &nbsp;which you can do if your not in Canada or the US and can normally buy the Thule Aero Bars. &nbsp;They make several sizes- but they&#39;re just not available here (outside of the Volvo branded ones at the dealer). &nbsp;As such, if you buy the Volvo ones, the mounting issue is the same as the square bars... since the crossbar itself is the same length- in fact, the exact same feet are used.

emil
05-23-2003, 01:46 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Low Tide @ May 22 2003,08:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">since the crossbar itself is the same length- in fact, the exact same feet are used.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I may be missing sth but my point is that IF oval and square are SAME length you can fit MORE bike mounts on the oval than on the square as it is impossible to use the full length of the square with my mounts as they need to be fixed &quot;around&quot; (for the lack of a better word. Sorry, english is not my first language) the square bar and there is not enough space to do it outside of the roof rail. &nbsp;Because with oval t-tracks you just mount it on top, in the track without the need to go &quot;around&quot; the bar, you can use the full length of the crossbar.

If I am rigth here and hearing Thomas&#39; and Barry&#39;s comments that wing profile bars are also noisy, I have to say the balance tips in favour of the ovals for me...

Low Tide
05-28-2003, 07:41 AM
The wings produce a fraction of the noise generated by the square bars. &nbsp;There is no need or benefit to a fairing to be used with the wings. &nbsp;A fairing will help some with the square. &nbsp;The ovals are closer to the shape of the square than to the shape of the wing. &nbsp;Have them order both and compare. &nbsp;

You are correct that the oval will mount more space than the square. &nbsp;

There is not a significant difference in totoal mounting space for the wings vs. square vs. oval. &nbsp;The wings mount nearly identical to the square. &nbsp;The oval a couple of cm more. &nbsp;Measure the mount difference yourself... its a trade-off, and it depends on what your going to carry. &nbsp;The ONE exception is if you purchase extra-long bars aftermarket rather than OEM. &nbsp;But then you will produce more drag, more noise, etc... again, its a trade-off. &nbsp;Your best to only use the mounts specific to your seasonal task, and then swap out unused mounts at will. &nbsp;That&#39;s the benefit of the T-track- ease of installation.

barrysharp
05-28-2003, 08:21 AM
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (emil @ May 23 2003,01:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I am rigth here and hearing Thomas&#39; and Barry&#39;s comments that wing profile bars are also noisy, I have to say the balance tips in favour of the ovals for me...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
After some research with the Volvo wing profile cross bars (without attachments such as boxes and bikes) my conclusion is that between 0-45 mph and 50-70 mph there&#39;s no noticeable increase in cabin noise. There&#39;s a sort of low frequency rumbling (soft sound similar to blowing air across the open end of a bottle) between 45-50 mph. There&#39;s a definite sudden noise abatement immediately after the 50 mph. The noise increase builds from around 40 mph and reaches a max level at around 45 mph. My cross bars are positioned at 1/3 spacing on the side rails and are to the best of ability arranged to be at right angles to the side rails.

The bottom line -- as Low Tide has mentioned, the Volvo wing profile cross bars are very quiet and for most driving speeds there&#39;s no noise. I comapre this to my daughter&#39;s Passat that has square cross bars and a fairing. The noise without any object attached is very annoying much above 30 mph. The wing profile cross bars are extemely strong and I have stood on them (180 lbs) carefully and there no perceivable deflections and/or instability that I could detect.

littlewaywelt
05-28-2003, 08:35 AM
The square bars are definately loud. &nbsp;We used to take them off when we didn&#39;t need them, but I tired of always reattaching them and we eventually got used to the noise. &nbsp;We were coming from a Cherokee, so in any event even with the bars it was much quieter. &nbsp;Closing the sunroof cover/shade makes a dramatic improvement in noise reduction.