PDA

View Full Version : Fan Behind the Dash Temp Sensor?

XCFundi
08-08-2011, 01:12 AM
According to my manual the 2 little vents above temperature knob on right side of center dash are temperature sensors. I have a fan running 24/7 behind it. It rarely if ever stops running. If I cover the vent slots you can hear it speed up. Is this thing running all the time normal? What does it do ?

Willy
08-08-2011, 01:52 AM
The slits are just covering the fan that sits behind them.
The fan blows inside air over the temperature sensor behind it.
The A/C system uses the measurement to regulate the cabin air temperature.
What you describe is normal.

XCFundi
08-08-2011, 10:18 AM
Even when the vehicle is turned off?
It runs all day and all night even if the vehicle is off !:confused:

howardc64
08-08-2011, 10:32 AM
In my car, the fan turns off after a few minutes after the engine is shutdown.

The fan will turn back on without the engine on. I recall either when the driver side door is opened or when the key is inserted (without turning).

You can test this by leaving the windows down or sitting in the car after the engine is off and listen for the fan turning itself off.

XCFundi
08-08-2011, 10:58 AM
I can't thank you enough your time to answer this!:) Really appreciated.

I guess I will have to sit in my vehicle with door closed, key out and see if it actually shuts off. It was 109 degrees yesterday at my office:eek:, so maybe tonight when it is only 97 degrees outside:p

kamiar
08-08-2011, 11:04 AM
My car occasionally in extreme hot weather starts the cabin fan to balance the cabin temperature, even sometimes few hours after the car is stopped, i assume the small fan and sensor had to work for this feature to function!