PDA

View Full Version : New to site - 2004 XC90 issues..headlights & fan

chrissyf1214
08-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Hello - I am new to this site and apologize if this has been asked before. I have 3 issues. My first issue is that I can shut the car off and everything is off, go shopping or park in the driveway and come out hours later and the fan is on? Is this the cooling/fan relay that can be bad? I am hoping that it is so it will be covered under my extended warranty. I was told by Volvo for EACH diagnosis that is $119. So for my 3 issues I will be up to $360!

2nd problem - The headlights stay on after shutting off the car. Not the normal staying on when you get out so you can see or be safe. These stay on and don't go off, not all the time but enough. Can this possibly be a headlight switch or module or something that can be wrong? I just don't want to get ripped out being a female.

My 3rd problem - I actually got locked out of my car. I have the remotes to open the door which I ALWAYS use and trying to get into my car the remote wouldn't unlock the doors. I tried and tried and then remembered I could use the key to unlock the doors, or so I thought when I tried to unlock the door there was no "lock" in there is the only way to explain it. The key would fit but there was nothing in there to turn, so I couldn't open the door using the key. I was locked out for awhile and then eventually (15 mins later) the remote I guess reset or whatever and the door unlocked. I haven't locked my doors in months for the fear of getting locked out again. Someone said it might be a lock actuator? This isn't covered, but wondering how much to expect the repair will be.

edmguy
08-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Whats your location? I have vida and dice and can do the diagnostic for you.. No charge!

volvoRSC
08-11-2011, 10:10 AM
1- Fan will stay on depending on temp. But hours later doesn't sound right.

2- There are 3 positions for on headlight switch.
0 (9 o'clock) - Off or Auto mode.
I (10 o'clock) - Parking lights
II (12 o'clock) - Lights on.
Check to make sure it's in the 9 o'clock position. Headlights should turn on & off automatically. If it's already in the 9 o'clock position but headlights stay on after you shut off the car, something's wrong.

3- I take it you bought the car used, the previous owner must have done some work on the driver's side door but never replaced the lock cylinder. I have been in the same situation a couple of times when the remote couldn't unlock the car, but I was able to unlock it using the key on the driver's side handle.