PDA

View Full Version : IPD Turbo Control/Boost Control-Affect Turbo life?

8pack
08-05-2011, 02:36 PM
I am looking at buying one of these for my 2007. Reviews are very positive in terms of performance. However, a couple of questions:

I am curious if it will have an impact on the life of the Turbo?

Is it necessary to also buy a boost gauge?

Thanks

howardc64
08-05-2011, 03:27 PM
No need for a boost gauge. Your left foot will tell you if you connected it up correct :) I did it on both my V70 T5 and V70XC, the effect is obvious. You will need to replace the hoses with silicon hoses to get the effect. Using the old hose will get no perf gain.

Regarding turbo lifetime, I have no data but I'm guessing there wouldn't be any impact. I think the turbo's theory of operation would suggest HD TCV is basically getting more boost sooner by letting less waste go out the waste gate at lower RPMs.

stupidloose
08-07-2011, 06:24 PM
This is my first turbo in a volvo, Where exactly is the Turbo Control Valve located?

Astro14
08-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Attached to the airbox - above the transmission, right under the intake pipe by the MAF...You'll see the three vacuum hoses going into it...it's a little thing, about the size of a 35mm film can.

Ocean Racer
08-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Remember to follow IPD's install and drive set up instructions.

stupidloose
08-08-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks, Sounds like an easy upgrade for some performance.

sjonnie
08-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Reviews are very positive in terms of performance.

I am curious if it will have an impact on the life of the Turbo?

Is it necessary to also buy a boost gauge?

If your Turbo control valve is broken it may help, but otherwise you won't see much difference between that and the stock valve. Signs of a faulty turbo system are inability to maintain speed / gear when going uphills and sluggish acceleration.

On another note, all IPD's turbo accessories are provided so as to enable you to run higher boost pressures when you get an ECU upgrade - without that there is no way to get more than the ECU set 7-8psi boost - so are not really performance improving modifications by themselves. As for longevity, IPD were interested in how their ECU upgrades affect the life of the turbo and engine, they bought some old cars that had been running those mods for a long time a while back to look into it. Haven't heard anything about the results though, maybe somebody here saw something.

stupidloose
08-09-2011, 06:36 PM
So Sjonnie, I would benefit from just changing out the factory vacuum lines to silicone instead of the whole valve? Especially if mine appears to be working? According to all the posts, It would "wake" up the car a little without shelling out the extra for the valve if I don't need it?

01V70XC5A
08-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Where is the best place to buy the silicone hoses? I didn't see them on IPD's website...

Ars Gladius
08-10-2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4765/h105-silicone-hose-5mm-id

01V70XC5A
08-10-2011, 07:00 PM
^^^ hahaha well look at that, don't know how I missed it. Thanks.

Ars Gladius
08-10-2011, 07:56 PM
^^^ hahaha well look at that, don't know how I missed it. Thanks.

Don't feel bad, IPD's redesign has made stuff a pain to find sometimes.