PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do B4 servo cover change without using the M10X80 bolt as per instructions?

08-04-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm in NYC and can't find a store/dealer near me that has the M10X80 bolt that is attached to the transmission to allow a screwdriver to push the cover in before removing the retaining ring? Is it actually necessary to push in the cover in order to remove the cover from the transmission? I thought I would ask before removing the wheel and crawling under the car.

Thanks

howardc64
08-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Yes, need the bolt for leverage. Make sure you have a circlip plier along with the necessary tip also. Can't do this job with these these 2 tools.

On the bolt. I remember getting mine at HomeDepot. Pretty common.

billr99
08-04-2011, 12:49 PM
I'm in NYC and can't find a store/dealer near me that has the M10X80 bolt that is attached to the transmission to allow a screwdriver to push the cover in before removing the retaining ring? Is it actually necessary to push in the cover in order to remove the cover from the transmission? I thought I would ask before removing the wheel and crawling under the car.

Thanks

It's not a necessity; but if you don't use it, you end up wrestling with the cover a bit to get it far enough into the bore to allow the circlip to be seated properly. My fingers are just not strong enough anymore thanks to arthritis to push the cover in far enough without that extra leverage. Plus it gets to be one of those jobs where you need 3 hands and don't have enough room for one.

Have fun,

Bill

Volky_one
08-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Home depot or Lowe's home improvement has them, I used one from home depot and it worked Ok, just get right threads size and a litle longer shank, will do.

01V70XC5A
08-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Just performed the B4 Cover replacement on my new to me 2001 V70XC last night. I used a 3 inch 1/4 inch drive extension. It fit in the hole perfectly and didn't muck anything up. I feel fortunate that the B4 Cover replacement seems to have corrected my 2-3 & 3-2 hard shift issue.

I'm going in for the new TCM programing on Monday. I'd like to eliminate the auto neutral function.