PDA

View Full Version : clunk... when front end jacked up I can move the wheel....

IpswichXC
08-03-2011, 05:34 AM
I have the dreaded "clunk"... When I lift my front end up and move the wheel it has a lot of play. and the play appears to be in the transmission? The wheel and half shaft are tight.. but when I turn the wheel like a steering wheel there is a lot of movement... at the transmission... i guess.

So.. does the passenger side half shaft go into the transmission?
Is it something that can be fixed or is it a tranny replacement??

Thanks

kamiar
08-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Should be a suspension part... is the axle bolt tight?

VICIII
08-03-2011, 07:39 AM
I have the dreaded "clunk"... When I lift my front end up and move the wheel it has a lot of play. and the play appears to be in the transmission? The wheel and half shaft are tight.. but when I turn the wheel like a steering wheel there is a lot of movement... at the transmission... i guess.

Thanks

Did you get the software update?

billr99
08-03-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks
Are you saying that when you have the car in the air and turn the steering wheel back and forth you are pulling the half shaft (axle) in and out of where it goes into the transmission? Your description is very unclear to me.

As far as the passenger side axle, there is a carrier bearing that supports the inner shaft that goes from the inner CV to the transmission. I have never heard of one of those going bad but anything is possible.

God luck,

Bill

Astro14
08-03-2011, 07:44 PM
No...no...I think what he is saying is that with the car in the air, he grabs the front wheel and rotates it about the axle, as if using the wheel as a steering wheel. So he is moving it clockwise and counterclockwise - or forward rotation and rearward as if the car was rolling...

And he is perceiving "lash" or "play" somewhere in the drivetrain and asking where that play might be since the axles themselves appear tight...

Right?

kamiar
08-03-2011, 08:15 PM
No...no...I think what he is saying is that with the car in the air, he grabs the front wheel and rotates it about the axle, as if using the wheel as a steering wheel. So he is moving it clockwise and counterclockwise - or forward rotation and rearward as if the car was rolling...

And he is perceiving "lash" or "play" somewhere in the drivetrain and asking where that play might be since the axles themselves appear tight...

Right?

I have this play and i think its normal, isn't it?

billr99
08-04-2011, 04:44 AM

Right?

Well, that would make sense. And yes, a bit of lash is normal but what amount?

Cheers,

Bill