PDA

View Full Version : First scheduled transmission service?

stupidloose
08-02-2011, 05:09 PM
First volvo with this transmission in it. I did not receive a manual, And am having trouble locating the service intravals. What is the first scheduled tranny flush?

Seamus
08-02-2011, 05:42 PM
First volvo with this transmission in it. I did not receive a manual, And am having trouble locating the service intravals. What is the first scheduled tranny flush?

Never.

But you should do a flush about every 30k miles

stupidloose
08-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Thank you, This car has 70,000 miles on it so I will flush it asap.

Seamus
08-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Thank you, This car has 70,000 miles on it so I will flush it asap.

I wouldn't do a power flush with that many miles. I'd do the Gibbons method, or a few drain and fills

John@CdnRockies
08-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I recognize that virtually everyone suggests a very frequent interval for this tranny. However, I can't help but feel we may be overly conservative. I did my first flush at 200,000 km (130,000 miles) and the tranny has been fine both before and afterwards.

I believe this is an Aisin unit which is a Toyota company. I asked my Toyota dealer and he said they only change the fluid every 100,000 km (including in the AWD units) and it could go longer than that without any cause for concern.

It never hurts to exceed the service intervals, but I think this unit is quite a bit more robust than the pre-2003 model.

John

JRL
08-02-2011, 08:17 PM
That's BS
Toyota recommends every 30K

sjonnie
08-02-2011, 09:37 PM
That's BS
Toyota recommends every 30K

Go to http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php and find me a single vehicle where it says the transmission fluid should be changed at 30K. It doesn't, it consistently says "Inspect transmission fluid". By the time you get to 60k with some vehicles operating under heavy load it will finally suggest you replace the transmission fluid.

billr99
08-03-2011, 04:28 AM
Go to http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php and find me a single vehicle where it says the transmission fluid should be changed at 30K. It doesn't, it consistently says "Inspect transmission fluid". By the time you get to 60k with some vehicles operating under heavy load it will finally suggest you replace the transmission fluid.

Hmmm, that' s interesting, isn't it? I notice that with Camrys, which I was lead to believe have AW 55 series trannies, the early models (MY2002) recommend a change of auto fluid at 30K miles if under heavy use but by MY2007 that recommendation has been dropped. What's weird is that, the manual gearboxes are recommended to be changed at that mileage if subjected to heavy use. I've seen very few recommendations like that over the years.

Although I would tend to agree that we are being overly conservative in regard to Volvo trannies, I have to say that it does seem to help on mine and I change mine out at 30K kms (dump and fill). Its ridiculous and a real downside, but what can you do?

Cheers,

Bill

JRL
08-03-2011, 04:44 AM

I will rephrase
LEXUS said to me (same tranny) that they recommend drain and fills every 30K miles.
This was in 2006 or 2007
They were not trying to sell me it, as the mileage on my Lexus at the time was about 45K, I just asked because of the Volvo issues that were cropping up then.
I have known this dealership and service manager since 1989 when I bought a lexus the month after they came out and they would tell me the truth

jda2000
08-03-2011, 06:05 AM
I will rephrase
... as the mileage on my Lexus at the time was about 45K,

JRL,

you were driving a Lexus. SACRILEGE :p

JRL
08-03-2011, 11:23 AM
03 GS 400, my wife drove for 6 months...it was bought cheap
They're not bad.
It's always nice to have ONE car around that usually needs absolutely nothing, NEVER........except oil changes, brakes and tires!

jda2000
08-03-2011, 12:57 PM
It's always nice to have ONE car around that usually needs absolutely nothing, NEVER........except oil changes, brakes and tires!

you can't say that about our beloved volvos:o

mtnxc70
08-03-2011, 08:14 PM
I agree with you both, that's why I have a tundra in my garage :)

n00bkiller944
08-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I do mine every 30k :)

sjonnie
08-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Camrys, which I was lead to believe have AW 55 series trannies
Not according to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_U_transmission). Apparently they have U series transmissions. The AW55 really didn't get used in a lot of vehicles, can't see it getting used in a Camry, too unreliable perhapas ;);) Interestingly the same transmission is used in the Highlander as the Camry, yet they suggest changing the transmission fluid at 30K under heavy load in the Camry but not in the Highlander. I wonder if there is an additional oil cooler in the Highlander than increases the life of the transmission fluid. In any case, my point was that the life span of transmission fluid is highly variable and the only way to tell if it needs changing is by inspecting the fluid itself.

billr99
08-04-2011, 04:50 AM
Not according to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_U_transmission). Apparently they have U series transmissions. The AW55 really didn't get used in a lot of vehicles, can't see it getting used in a Camry, too unreliable perhapas ;);) Interestingly the same transmission is used in the Highlander as the Camry, yet they suggest changing the transmission fluid at 30K under heavy load in the Camry but not in the Highlander. I wonder if there is an additional oil cooler in the Highlander than increases the life of the transmission fluid. In any case, my point was that the life span of transmission fluid is highly variable and the only way to tell if it needs changing is by inspecting the fluid itself.

I stand corrected although I thought I had read some time back where the AW55 was a mod version of a AW tranny used by Toyota. Anyway, for those interested here is what Wikipedia has to say about the AW55 and where it is used. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aisin_AF33_transmission

Cheers,

Bill