PDA

View Full Version : Cupping on EOM Pirelli Scorpions

joelq
08-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Hi all -

Have a 2010 XC60 with ~26K miles. It developed some pretty loud road noise about 4 months ago. Finally took it into the dealership this morning just to make sure it wasn't bad bearings, and they confirmed that it was the cupping that was making the noise.

The tires are the original Pirellis, and still have quite a bit of tread left on them, but the only thing the dealer is suggesting is replacing them. The tires have also been rotated regularly every 7500K.

I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem with the EOM tires? Given the tread still left, these tires should still be good for another year or so, but the noise is driving me crazy!

Thanks!

tekbis
08-09-2011, 04:38 PM
I haven't noticed anything on mine though I only have 9300 miles on the vehicle...just make sure you get vehicle alignment at least once a year to avoid cupping on the tires...it may also be possible because of a defect on the vehicle like a friend of mine has a C30 and had same/similar problems and dealership said Volvo knew abt the issue but couldn't do anything abt the warranty on the tires but they did replace a specific part to correct the issue. it may be a similar issue as the C30s or simply an alignment issue.

arejohn
09-15-2011, 07:20 PM
I suspect what you have is "feathering" and is the result of excessive toe - in or out. Do the inner or out tread blocks has a saw tooth feel when you run you hand around the tread?

joelq
09-16-2011, 07:01 AM
I suspect what you have is "feathering" and is the result of excessive toe - in or out. Do the inner or out tread blocks has a saw tooth feel when you run you hand around the tread?

Yes, I guess feathering is more what the tires have. As you mentioned, this is caused by excessive toe-in/out, but I'm having trouble believing this could happen to a car that's only a year old, so I was hoping to find other folks with the same problem, but doesn't sound like it. :-)

steve-xc60
12-12-2011, 08:32 AM
2010 XC60 - bought Nov. 2010
Summer: OEM 20" Pirelli Scorpion Zero/Asimm (T6 R-design package) on V-XC wheels
Winter: 17" Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 on Tire Rack Sport Alum wheels
(mileage now 17,500, about half each set)

So ... Noticed over the summer - increasing rotational sound/noise from tires - interfering with sound in the cabin. Quite annoying. A real bugger. Last week, stopped at my tire store - found excessive cupping on all four. Approx. mileage - maybe 9,000. Just had an alignment with Volvo. In spec or just barely out of spec. Just swapped all four for my winter set and what an incredible difference!!! Snows are quiet, smooth. Amazing! So - what's up with the VOLVO SPEC on the car for these tires? How can I adjust to stop cupping/feathering - and maintain decent handling/control? I can not buy (summer, or winter) tires every (other) year. Maybe I should switch to 17-18" for the summer set? What to do? Thinking of shaving the Pirelli's to remove cupping. What do the experts think?

cattlecar
12-14-2011, 09:38 AM
If the tread left is substantial then rotate in the modified X pattern so the tires come off front and go to opposite rear so they run reverse rotation. Then after a few thousand miles the rears come forward and those fronts go to opposite side rear again.
There are some tread designs that do the feathering with perfect alignment and the only way to mitigate it is to X rotate.

Tango
12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
My car did this also. After 24,000 miles, and 2 alignments all the dealer wanted to do is another alignment. Lots of tread still left. Because of another problem that couldn't be fixed. Traded it back to dealer. Tom :mad:

Ambur
04-30-2013, 09:57 AM
I haven't noticed anything on mine though I only have 9300 miles on the vehicle...just make sure you get vehicle alignment at least once a year to avoid cupping on the tires...it may also be possible because of a defect on the vehicle like a friend of mine has a C30 and had same/similar problems and dealership said Volvo knew abt the issue but couldn't do anything abt the warranty on the tires but they did replace a specific part to correct the issue. it may be a similar issue as the C30s or simply an alignment issue.

Do you happen to know what that specific part was? I've had my car for two years now and I have a continuing issue with my tires cupping, but there is nothing wrong according to the dealer. I had new tires put on about 15,000 miles ago, balanced, get them rotated every service and I have the same issue..