PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank and associated

nickbw
08-02-2011, 03:14 AM
Browsing internet for further info I found several tools suppliers for tank pump / sender removal tools. One company in USA listed a tool specific for Volvo rings on plastic tanks (though it seems US speck if often for metal). Unfortunately after waiting weeks I find this tool has been discontinued, so I am starting over.
I don't want to use the heavy hammer / large screwdriver method and have found a tool made by laser with three prongs adaptable for different diameter rings, which is tuned with a wrench.

The range is 75 - 160mm, 80 - 122mm, and 110 - 170mm

Has anyone used such a tool successfully?

nickbw
08-14-2011, 10:09 AM
Browsing internet for further info I found several tools suppliers for tank pump / sender removal tools. One company in USA listed a tool specific for Volvo rings on plastic tanks (though it seems US speck if often for metal). Unfortunately after waiting weeks I find this tool has been discontinued, so I am starting over.
I don't want to use the heavy hammer / large screwdriver method and have found a tool made by laser with three prongs adaptable for different diameter rings, which is tuned with a wrench.

The range is 75 - 160mm, 80 - 122mm, and 110 - 170mm

Has anyone used such a tool successfully?
Well I contacted the tool supplier technical support who confirmed the width of the fingers (20mm) meant they would not locate between the ribs on the internal diameter of the plastc lock ring (15mm). I Ordered tool anway and modified it by cutting a slot 10mm deep at the midpoint of each of the three fingers, that done the tool easily located accurately on the lockring. The large central hex nut permitted the use of a socket and 1/2 inch squaredrive torque wrench. The Vadis instructions advise 60 NM. This is very tight given the restrictions of using a big tool in the confined space with the seat-belt and seat squab anchorage points.

However I managed to do the job. The big problems are 1 keeping road grime out of the tank when opening to remove old ring and 2 holding the tank pump / sender unit in the correct position while tightening. There is little to get a purchase on and the tool / wrench is in the way of a second tool. Trial and error and [B]patience[B] is the order of the day!

I tried filling the tank with 5L of petrol with car on level ground and with inspection covers off. After only 2 L a small leak was visible under car immediately above the alloy suspension beam on the Rear Left passenger side (UK). I got under car with a torch and the fuel leak is from the filler pipe. I do not know how this has been damaged - have not been off road, nor snaged any debris on the road. But the fillerpipe from the fuel cap has a rubber coupling at the lower end and clips onto the tank.

Question- Does anyone think access to theis area can be achieved by only dismantelling the halfshaft and suspension items on the Rear Left? I am going to ask Volvo UK if they will give a contribution to fixing the issue.
Any comments welcome. Sorry no picks as with fuel falling in my face I did a very swift exit from under XC!

Ocean Racer
08-14-2011, 10:33 PM
I just went to the dealer and they did it all for me.
Remember you MUST install a new rubber O-ring with new senders
Don't reuse the old ring!