PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a v60 or v70 back to the US on a Expat prog?

AGXC70
07-31-2011, 01:04 PM
I know its a long shot but ... but I have to ask:

I am currently working in India on a expat posting. Wanted to know if when Im about to return to the US, I could buy a v60 in Europe (right hand drive) and drive it for a week or so (like on OSD) and then ship it back to the US where I live?

Thanks in advance.

-George

XCovlov70
08-01-2011, 10:46 PM
I know its a long shot but ... but I have to ask:

I am currently working in India on a expat posting. Wanted to know if when Im about to return to the US, I could buy a v60 in Europe (right hand drive) and drive it for a week or so (like on OSD) and then ship it back to the US where I live?

Thanks in advance.

-George

I would have thought that having bought and paid for the car you could do what you like with it, in terms of sending it anywhere in the World you wanted to, but of course you would have to pick up the shipping tab, unless your Expat posting includes getting it back to where you started from?

AGXC70
08-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Yes but then I would have to pay to certify the car back in the us. From what I've heard that's an expensive proposition. Thanks.

XCovlov70
08-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Yes but then I would have to pay to certify the car back in the us. From what I've heard that's an expensive proposition. Thanks.

OK then why not buy a "LHD" US Spec Model in Europe, drive that for a week and when you get it back to the US you are home and dry? [thumbup]

acools
08-03-2011, 05:26 AM
No, this isn't really a valid option.

People buying cars via OSD are insured via Volvo, if you walk in to Volvo anywhere in the EU, you would have to register the car locally as a resident. Unless you have a EU address, ID card and are able to provide an EU insurance card (pink card) you will have problems.

Secondly, shipping the car is easy but clearing it for US customs is the problem. The issue here is whether or not in passes US DOT regulations. THe V60 was never crash-tested or homologated for use in the US. Your headlights are ecodes and not DOT certified, the mirrors will not be DOT (EUR has curved blindspot mirrors, the US does not permit distortion).

The EU purchase is possible, with the right documents but the US DOT clearance is the real issue. I would check that first, but expect that this is a NO-GO.

Andres

AGXC70
08-03-2011, 06:20 AM
No, this isn't really a valid option.

People buying cars via OSD are insured via Volvo, if you walk in to Volvo anywhere in the EU, you would have to register the car locally as a resident. Unless you have a EU address, ID card and are able to provide an EU insurance card (pink card) you will have problems.

Secondly, shipping the car is easy but clearing it for US customs is the problem. The issue here is whether or not in passes US DOT regulations. THe V60 was never crash-tested or homologated for use in the US. Your headlights are ecodes and not DOT certified, the mirrors will not be DOT (EUR has curved blindspot mirrors, the US does not permit distortion).

The EU purchase is possible, with the right documents but the US DOT clearance is the real issue. I would check that first, but expect that this is a NO-GO.

Andres

Thats whats I'm expecting based on issues people like even Bill Gates have had bringing back "special" cars.

Thanks,

George