PDA

View Full Version : A/C vent closing gremlins - '03 V70 XC

mark_vxc
07-30-2011, 01:56 PM
I have a vent problem very similar to others mentioned on this site. I tried changing out the temp. sensor as that seems to have solved other's malfunctions – unfortunately, it had no impact on mine.

Let me describe exactly the symptoms and maybe someone can suggest the likely cause and remedy. My a/c blows good cold air and the blower motor is fine. But within a few seconds, if the a/c compressor is on, the front vents will close off and you hear the air trapped up behind the glove box area. This is the case whether you are in Auto mode or manually directing the vent direction and speed. As soon as you disengage the a/c compressor, the vents will immediately shoot open and a cold rush of air flows out of the front vents. Unfortunately, the a/c is off and within a minute you need to engage the a/c and then of course the vents will immediately re-close.

Needless to say, this is incredibly frustrating. I have to use the defrost mode to get any cold air into the cabin. That works marginally, but cold air actually blowing in your face would be nice. Did I leave anything out? As a side note, earlier, a dealership upgraded the software to no avail. Hope someone can help solve the vent gremlins.

I'll thank you in advance for your advice and suggestions. Mark