PDA

View Full Version : Another RSE Problem XC90

lizinfl
07-30-2011, 12:58 PM
I've read the previous posts regarding RSE (Rear SEat Entertainment) issues with the volvo xc90s on this forum, and I'm in the same boat with the owners regarding this system.
This is the first or second generation RSE entertainment unit that volvo installed in the center arm console with the two screens in the headrests with 4 pairs of headphones. Throughout the course of owning the car the unit was not very reliable - wouldn't work, would work, ask for disk to be formatted with original movie dvds and now - nothing, no power, zippo.
Batteries replaced in remote, all fuses checked - rear cargo area passenger side fuses, rear cargo area driver side, front fuse panel on driver side, under the steering wheel fuse panel and yes, I even removed the fuse from the physical unit in the arm rest itself (4amp) fuse.... All the fuses are fine.

should i just get a new in the arm rest or under the seat dvd player or should i continue to look at each wire like a previous post and see if one is burned out? the 12v cigarette lighter works on the unit, which leads me to believe that power is going to it. I'm just frustrated - try telling a 3 1/2 yr old and a 2 year old why they can't watch tv on long car trips, not easy when the see the headrest screens right in front of them.

I just don't want to get hosed with a big price tag to fix this, and the guy that I would trust with after market installs is no longer in the area.....would never take it to a best buy, my ipod connector doesn't work any longer when they fixed the sirius satellite receiver, they also made the SRSS light come on which says air bag is not working properly - though they justified this by showing me some threads on volvo's website that anything can make this light turn on (read a previous post here regarding this issue when a guy changed his wifes air filter) way too tempermental of a car.

anyone have experience with the quality mobile website? their prices look okay and they say they'll answer questions on the phone, I'm just stumped what my next move is.

glenwyatt
08-28-2011, 07:20 PM
I've read the previous posts regarding RSE (Rear SEat Entertainment) issues with the volvo xc90s on this forum, and I'm in the same boat with the owners regarding this system.
This is the first or second generation RSE entertainment unit that volvo installed in the center arm console with the two screens in the headrests with 4 pairs of headphones. Throughout the course of owning the car the unit was not very reliable - wouldn't work, would work, ask for disk to be formatted with original movie dvds and now - nothing, no power, zippo.
Batteries replaced in remote, all fuses checked - rear cargo area passenger side fuses, rear cargo area driver side, front fuse panel on driver side, under the steering wheel fuse panel and yes, I even removed the fuse from the physical unit in the arm rest itself (4amp) fuse.... All the fuses are fine.

should i just get a new in the arm rest or under the seat dvd player or should i continue to look at each wire like a previous post and see if one is burned out? the 12v cigarette lighter works on the unit, which leads me to believe that power is going to it. I'm just frustrated - try telling a 3 1/2 yr old and a 2 year old why they can't watch tv on long car trips, not easy when the see the headrest screens right in front of them.

I just don't want to get hosed with a big price tag to fix this, and the guy that I would trust with after market installs is no longer in the area.....would never take it to a best buy, my ipod connector doesn't work any longer when they fixed the sirius satellite receiver, they also made the SRSS light come on which says air bag is not working properly - though they justified this by showing me some threads on volvo's website that anything can make this light turn on (read a previous post here regarding this issue when a guy changed his wifes air filter) way too tempermental of a car.

anyone have experience with the quality mobile website? their prices look okay and they say they'll answer questions on the phone, I'm just stumped what my next move is.

I had the same issue. The way I figured out it was a break in the wires was to open the armrest while the player was on and move the wires around. I noticed that when the wires were moved a certain way one headrest worked. I ended up taking out the center console and the wiring harness and rewiring what I believe is the audio/video wires (2 sets of 7 or 8 wires if I remember correctly). I went down to the local electronics supplier and found an equivalent type of cable. I soldered the new wires in as close as possible to where they meet the plug on each end and heat shrinked them. It worked out great. It took a few hours of soldering but it was worth it in the end. Volvo wanted something outrageous for the harness so it was the only logical option. I'm sure if you got the harness out and took it somewhere to get fixed it wouldn't cost you too much if you don't want to tackle it yourself. It ended up costing me about $6.00 and about 4 hours of my time.

If I can give you a hand in any way feel free to ask.