PDA

View Full Version : Tires...again

Blue_V70XC
07-20-2011, 09:53 AM
I have read several questions and thoughts about tires for the Cross Country. One of the topics focuses on improved responsiveness from various brands or sizes.

I will soon be in the market for new tires - and I want to make a decision when I want to, not when I have to. Currently, I am on the tail-end of useable life of some 215-65-16 H-rated Firestone Firehawk GT M+S tires. These tires were on the car when I purchase it, so I have no other reference, but if there are any comments regarding experience between these and other tires it would be appreciated.

Although I live in Tucson and use the wagon mostly for carting my dog about and grocery runs, I am leaning towards an all-season tire, though possibly not as aggressive as a GeoLander, allowing for snow traction in the higher elevations around Arizona. Still, there are moments when I want a more proper street tire that will allow me to enjoy an occassional romp into the higher rpm range.

And, from a purchase standpoint, I will be buying at Discount Tire (nothing but positive experience over the past 20+ years).

In advance, thanks for your thoughts.

jaylow
07-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Just put a set of Yokohama Touring S tires on my '04. They're inexpensive and quiet. Time will tell how well they wear. I got mine from Discount Tire as well. I've used them several times, and have had only positive experiences.

Cheers!

blinkerbox
07-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Just slapped Yokohama AVID TRZ's on my vehicular last month, recently doing a 1,5XX mile round-trip through Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Tires performed beautifully from the blazin' hot highways to the tight cornering through mountain passes. Not sure on cold weather, however the manufacturer's little tire spiel states, "From scorching highways to snow-covered backroads...", whatever that feel good is supposed to really mean. Anyhow, I love 'em. Picked them up for $100 a pop from yours truly (Discount Tires) and would recommend them.

Volvos rock
07-21-2011, 05:25 AM
The Yoko Avid TRZs are awesome. I will most likely be going back to these. Excpect about 29k out of them.

Astro14
07-21-2011, 07:18 AM
We wore out a set of TRZs on this car in about 30K miles. I had blamed the tires themselves, but find that this thing eats tires much more rapidly than other vehicles...They performed well but not as well in the snow as the Nokian WR G2SUVs on there now. It appears I will get slightly better life on the Nokians than on the Yokos. If you're looking for good snow performance, I would go with the Nokians.

I would encourage you to choose XL load range tires and H-rated or better since that is what Volvo specified. The WR G2s meet both, the TRZs only the speed range. At a 38 PSI inflation pressure and US highway speeds, the XL designation may not matter, but it was the OE spec...

Regardless of what you choose, rotate them often, and check pressure often. Underinflation is generally what causes tire failure...

BIGGUYNE
07-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Got 60K on a set of Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads. Expensive, but I drive lots of miles. really good snow traction & quiet.

jaylow
07-21-2011, 11:49 PM
I would encourage you to choose XL load range tires and H-rated or better since that is what Volvo specified. The WR G2s meet both, the TRZs only the speed range. At a 38 PSI inflation pressure and US highway speeds, the XL designation may not matter, but it was the OE spec...

Astro, I couldn't find anywhere that Volvo spec'd an XL load range tire on the P2 XC70. I checked the manual, the inner door sticker—failing that, checked Tire Rack. They show the Pirelli Scorpion as the stock tire, and it's a 98V, but not XL rated. Not saying I don't believe you, just can't find any information that mentions the XL load range.

Tire Rack also notes that the 98V and the 98H versions of the OEM Pirelli tire are interchangeable on a same-axle basis if necessary.

Regardless of what you choose, rotate them often, and check pressure often. Underinflation is generally what causes tire failure...

[thumbup] Solid advice to be sure!

budrichard
07-22-2011, 03:33 AM
Nokian WR G2's are a superb tire for snow but they wear like hell if you use them year round. I can't believe in Arizona you require such as tire. I just took them off my 1999 XC70 and replaced with Michelin MXv4's and as soon as they wear out completely on my 2003 XC70, they will be gone.
The handling in snow and slippery conditions of the XC70 is more due to the traction system than the specific tire.-Dick

JRL
07-22-2011, 04:52 AM
30-35K is the average wear on these vehicles. some may get more, some less
You can also go with 225/60/16s for a better footprint.

TiredGeek
07-22-2011, 08:59 AM
or 235 60 16 if you want. No rubbing and the diameter is the same as 215 65 16.
Makes a big difference to the handling on the road, though maybe a fraction less good in snow due to the width.....