PDA

View Full Version : Traction control ?

Falron
01-23-2003, 02:51 PM
The other day I decided to drive down to the beach for a quick swim and surf. (North shore at Noosa) The weather has been very dry downunder (drought) so the sandy tracks are very powdery.
After a short stroll to check the surf I jumped into the car to drive onto the beach. As luck would have it I had stopped where previous vehicles had dug holes in the track - My front passager wheel and rear drivers side wheels dropped through the light sand into the holes. The two other wheels were still in contact with the firmer sand.

The problem was both wheels in the holes just spun making the situation worse. The other two wheels did nothing meaning all drive was directed through the open diffs.
Question - under thess circumstances the traction control should have applied braking force to the spinning wheels and directed some torque to the wheels on firm ground?

I got bogged - luckly a family in a Landrover passed by and towed me clear. The result: I missed my surf and was very hot, cranky, and dirty from trying to dig the car out.

Is there a simple diagnostic test for this function? before I return to the dealer and attempt to get this fixed.